Image: Scenes from around campus

Petition For Advanced Placement Credit

15 July 2011


Click here for for the Petition for Advanced Placement Credit Form

Advanced Placement Policy

The Peralta Community College District is a participant in the Advanced Placement Program of the College Entrance Examination Board.  Advanced Placement credit will be granted in the Peralta Community College District according to the following policy:

  1. Students must be enrolled in the Peralta Community College District in order to apply for AP Credit.
  2. Students are not required to have completed any specific number of units in the Peralta Community College District prior to applying the AP Credit.

  3. Students will be granted credit for AP scores of three (3), four (4) or five (5) in specific subject areas (refer to list at the end of the policy section).

  4. Students will receive units of credit and grades of Credit (CR) on the Peralta transcript.

  5. Units earned by AP examinations may be used to meet Certificate and Associate Degree requirements.

  6. Units earned by AP examinations may be used towards CSU, General Education Breadth certification, (partial or full), according to the CSU approved list.

  7. Units earned by AP examinations may be used to meet Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC), with the exception of Critical Thinking-English Composition and Oral Communication requirements (Areas 1B and 1C).  Credits earned by a score of 3 or higher on a designated AP examination can be applied when recognized by the college as equivalent to approved IGETC courses.  Each individual AP exam can clear one course only.

  8. Units of AP credit may not be used to satisfy financial aid, veterans or EOPS eligibility criteria regarding enrollment status.

  9. Units of AP credit may not be used to satisfy the College’s twelve (12) unit residency requirement.


  1. Some four-year institutions (e.g. out-of-state) may not accept AP credit.

  2. The applicability and quantity of AP credits granted toward major/or baccalaureate degree requirements continues to be determined by the individual CSU and UC campus.


Advanced Placement Procedures

Students wishing to apply for AP credit should:

  1. Complete the Petition for Advanced Placement Credit.

  2. Attach official copies of AP score reports from the College Board or an official copy of the high school transcript (if it reports Advance Placement Examinations).

  3. Take completed Petition and supporting documentation to a counselor for review. 

Filed under: Admissions & Records Forms

  • Admissions & Records

    Friday 22 August 2014
    Powered by Wordpress

  • Peralta Community College District

    The district comprises four campuses serving northern Alameda County.
  • Oakland Weather

    Conditions for Oakland, CA at 1:52 am PDT: Cloudy, 63 F