Image: Scenes from around campus

Wait List Information

15 July 2011

WAIT LISTS - Regular Session (full-term) classes only

During registration, if you try to register for a class that is full (CLOSED – Wait Listed), you will be given the option to add to the Wait List for that class until the Wait List fills. Remember, being on a Wait List does not guarantee you a seat in a class. If seats become available, those on the Wait List will be enrolled in the order they were added to the list.

Important: Passport will allow you to get on a Wait List, however, you will not be enrolled if you have any holds, time conflicts, repeat or prerequisite errors, duplicate courses, excessive units, or any type of registration error.

Wait List Frequently Asked Questions

Can anybody get on a Wait List?

Anyone can get on a Wait List if there are Wait List openings. You are eligible to remain on that Wait List only if:

• you meet the class prerequisites
  • the class time does not conflict with another class in which you are already enrolled
  • you are not on a wait list for another section of the same course
  • you have no repeat errors or holds on your record
  • the class units do not exceed your maximum allowed.

When the nightly process runs and space in the class is available, if you are on the Wait List but do not meet the criteria above, instead of adding you to the class from the Wait List, you will be dropped from the Wait List.

Who gets into a class from a Wait List?

If class seats become available, students will automatically be enrolled in the class in the order in which they were added to the Wait List.

How do I know if I got into a class?

If you are added to a class from the Wait List, you will be notified by email to your Peralta email account. Be sure to activate and monitor your Peralta emails during the registration period.

When do I pay for the class?

Fees will be assessed after you enroll in a class and must be paid 2 weeks before the beginning of the term. If you do not pay your fees, you may be dropped from the class for non-payment. If you add after this deadline, you are required to pay the fees immediately or a hold WILL be placed on your account and your debt will be sent to collections.

• Students on a Wait List should monitor their Peralta email closely for enrollment notification.

What is the first day I can waitlist?

Wait lists are available with the first day of registration when a class reaches its enrollment capacity.  Wait listed classes are displayed in the online schedule of classes with a yellow triangle icon.

What is the last day I can waitlist?

You can add to wait lists until the day before classes begin

What prevents me from adding to a wait list?

• Enrollment appointment date/time has not yet been reached
  • Requisites for the class are not met
  • The last day to add to the Wait List has passed
  • Class is not yet closed
  • Wait list is at its capacity

If an enrolled student drops a class and a seat opens up, do wait listed students get the opportunity to enroll first?

Before the first day of classes, a nightly process runs to automatically enroll students from the Wait List. After classes begin, the class will remain closed and you need to attend the first class meeting and get a permission number from the instructor to enroll.

Can I be on the Wait List for more than one section of the same class?

No. 

How will I move from the Wait List into the class?

During the registration period before classes begin, you are automatically enrolled as space becomes available. After classes begin, instructors are required to issue permission numbers. You use the class permission number to enroll in the class via Passport or by going to the Admissions and Records office at the college.  

Is there a limit to the number of classes that can be wait listed?

The maximum number of units you can have without college permission is 10 units in the summer and 18 units in fall and spring.

Are the Wait Listed units counted into my total units for the term?

Enrolled units and Wait Listed units are counted separately. Wait Listed courses are not counted towards full-time status or calculated for fees.

Will I be charged the enrollment fee when I add to the Wait List?

No.  You are only charged the appropriate fees when you are officially enrolled in the class.

How do instructors know who is on the Wait List?

Class Wait Lists are available to instructors through class rosters.

Can I drop myself from a Wait List?

Yes.  You can drop yourself from a Wait List using Drop Classes in Passport.

Can I see my position on a Wait List?

You can view your Wait List position in your Student Center under class schedule.  

How can I tell if a class has a Wait List?

In the online schedule of classes, classes with an available Wait List are indicated with a yellow triangle.

Filed under: Registration Information

• Admissions & Records

Friday 19 December 2014
    Powered by Wordpress

• Peralta Community College District

The district comprises four campuses serving northern Alameda County.
  • Oakland Weather

Conditions for Oakland, CA at 11:53 am PST: Cloudy, 57 F
  •