Image: Scenes from around campus

Foreign Transcripts

Guidance on Selecting a Foreign Transcript Evaluation Service

Important Notes: Unless the foreign institution also maintains U.S. Regional accreditation*, courses from foreign institutions cannot be used for CSU GE certification, or for IGETC certification (other than Area 6A – Language Other Than English).

*U.S. Regional accreditation can only be granted by one of the six Regional Accreditors recognized by the US Department of Education. (For the full list, please see “USDE Recognition Status”)

Even though a Foreign Transcript Evaluation Service may state that coursework from a foreign institution may be “equivalent” to that of a U.S. Regionally accredited institution, this statement of “equivalen[ce]” is not acceptable in lieu of actual U.S. Regional Accreditation for the purposes of CSU GE Breadth/IGETC certification.

To request that Peralta evaluate your foreign institution credits to satisfy requirements for a Peralta AA/AS degree, it is imperative that foreign coursework be evaluated by a foreign transcript evaluation service. The official evaluation documentation must be provided to Peralta in addition to course syllabi, descriptions, CORs or other supporting documents if available. This documentation should accompany the “Request for Initial Evaluation” form. The request for Initial Evaluation form can be obtained from your academic counselor. 

While Peralta may deem that foreign coursework is acceptable to satisfy Peralta AA/AS degree requirements, UC and CSU institutions reserve the right to make their own determinations on transferability and applicability to their own requirements. If your goal is to transfer to a UC or CSU, students should check with their intended destination school about their policies. In our experience, some schools will complete an “unofficial” evaluation, in person; other schools will state that the student must apply first before any evaluation can be made.

Counselors will meet with students, first, to advise them on the course of action most appropriate to the student’s educational goals and assist them in filling out the Request form. Upon completion, counselors will submit this documentation in conjunction with the completed Request for Initial Evaluation form to District Admissions and Records for evaluation by the District A&R Transcripts Coordinator.

If you are seeking to determine whether you can utilize some of your courses from a foreign institution towards your AA/AS degree at Peralta, then at minimum we would need the following information:

  1. Level of Courses: Certification that your coursework is equivalent to coursework from a regionally accredited U.S. 2-year or 4-year postsecondary institution;
  2. Course Characteristics: Each individual course name, level of course (i.e. lower division), units earned and letter grades.
  3. Course Outline/Syllabus/Descriptions: We will also need course descriptions if you are trying to substitute these for AA or AS courses. (Course syllabus, Course Outline of Record or “COR,” or catalog description) Please see below for examples of how you can help us make an accurate determination.)
The following examples are not intended to be an exhaustive list of services that we would recognize nor should it be seen as a recommendation of one particular organization over another.

These scenarios are intended to serve as examples of the more common evaluations we have seen.

Here are a few of the more common combinations that will provide Peralta with sufficient information:

  1. World Education Services, Inc.
    1. Course-By-Course Analysis”:


b. Peralta would also need course descriptions/syllabi for specific courses that the student would like us to evaluate.


  1. International Institute of California

a. Course-By-course analysis –


b. Peralta would also need course descriptions/syllabi for specific courses.

  1. Educational Credential Evaluators

Catalog match would suffice by itself. No additional course descriptions/syllabi would be needed. Catalog Match Evaluation report (Sample). 

Counselors: If you find any other services you would like to recommend or have any further questions, please feel free to reach out to the Coordinator – Admissions & Records / Transcripts at

Last revised: 11/06/2015

  • Admissions & Records

    Friday 28 July 2017
    Powered by Wordpress

  • Peralta Community College District

    The district comprises four campuses serving northern Alameda County.