Image: Scenes from around campus

AAAS Library Display at Laney College

12 October 2012. 102 comments

The Ethnic Studies Department proudly announces the Third Multicultural Art and Library Display, organized by students taking courses in the Asian/Asian American Studies (AAAS) program at Laney College. The goal of the visual and mixed media presentation is to engage the campus community by showcasing course project work.

162 students have been diligently working in small groups over the last five weeks to design and develop their team projects.
The theme of the library display is “Asian Pacific American Untold Stories: What Don’t You Know? Why Don’t You Know it?” Student generated topics and research questions focus on current issues relevant to the Asian Pacific American experience today. They have been working collaboratively inside and outside the classroom, many of whom have been conducting interviews using social science research skills, doing outreach by contacting local community organizations and analyzing visual media in order to prepare and produce their educational, political, historical and cultural displays.

The Laney College AAAS Library Display will start on Monday, October 8th and wrap up on Monday, October 15, 2012. The library hours are: Monday-Thursday, 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM, and Friday 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM (closed on weekends). We invite you to visit the library, main floor, to browse, share and enjoy our multicultural art installation. Please help us celebrate the contributions of Asian Pacific Americans to the diversity and history of the United States.

Filed under: Announcements, Laney College. Tagged: , ,

102 Comments

1. Fou Saetern says:

I told untold stories about two hate crimes that lead to two young Asian American’s death. I compared and contrasted about their situations, and found that when it comes to racism there are a lot of similarities why people hate. It is very significant that people learn to respect and understand other peoples’ culture and lifestyle. That was why I wanted to do my project on the victims who were affected by hate crimes.
    F.S.

2. QingQiao Liu says:

My group was searching the ten popular musical Instrument. It’s pleasure to listen different kinds of sound from these musical instrument. I searched about KongHou and Xun. They both have a long, “pride” history. Tradition musical instrument gave you sound effect on harmony. Nowadays, music has different kinds of effect which is generated from computer. It potentially destroyed our hearing system. Therefore, we need to hear some traditional music to adjust our balance of recognition on music.

3. Shuhong He says:

I like to watch film so I take ASAME 30 course. I love the teaching method that teacher, Janine Fujioka show in the class.My classmates and me have been diligently working in small groups over the last five weeks to design and develop our team projects. I tell Zhou xun’s biography as “untold” Asian Pacific American story. Zhou Xun is an internationally acclaimed Chinese actress and singer.I find lot of imformation about Zhou Xun, such as her representative film, early life, actiing career, relationship between she and Zhao Baogang who is a famous direcor in China, Singing career, Charity ambassador and her love story. I want to share this story because I love Zhou Xun’s film and admire her special talent on acting. At the same time, I want to share Zhou Xun’s film and story to people who want to know Asian culture.
    It is a very meaningful thing that we join
    “Third Multicultural Art and Library Display”. I have learned a lot from this course. Thanks for MS. Janine Fujioka and our classmates. Donna Shuhong He.

4. Abraham Amiri says:

I believe the untold story we presented tells us the views of western war films on Asian Americans. Which we found out had many biases and one sided views toward the conflicts, In the Aspect that in war films such as “Full Metal Jacket” and “Platoon” you can see how violent and derogatory the soldiers are too Asian Americans in the films whether its toward to opposition or innocent villagers, which I feel do affect the minds of the viewers in a way. Also not to say there isn’t great films that show the viewers both sides of the opposition such as “We Were Soldiers” which shows the tragic battle between two great generals one from the U.S and another from Vietnam who are very similar in the aspect that they both are fighting to protect each other’s life. I believe it is important to know that there are movies out there with certain biased views on subjects and it is important not to let them shape your thoughts, there is always two side to the story. A. A

5. Lai Fong Leung says:

In yimou zhang’s four films, they reflex that Chinese in old day faced a lot of difficulties including death, starvation and poverty. At that time, civilian became victims by factions within China and seconds Sino-Japanese war. In four films (Red Sorghum, Raise the Red Lantern, To Live, Ju Dou), red is noticeable color. Red symbolizes that Chinese people have hopes for the future. Women were repressive under the tradition. It meant that men were leading the world. Though four films, it is important for us to understand that freedom, democracy and having better life did not fall from sky. Generations and generations have fought for them.

6. Swee Chew says:

Our group decided to explore common superstitions in three Asian countries: China, Vietnam, and Myanmar. We came up with this topic because we feel like their beliefs still influences their decisions making process and their lives on daily basis wherever they settle down. Throughout the research and group gathering, we find out that some of the superstitions in those countries are similar and can be related to while others are totally unusual and unreasonable. It is important to learn about various superstitions from different cultural backgrounds because knowing their beliefs can help us better understand each other and assist in communication.

7. Priscilla Hoang says:

The untold Asian Pacific American story I presented on was the lack of accurate Asian American representation in the media. YouTube provides an outlet for Asian Americans, primarily descendants of immigrant parents, to express themselves through digital media. Often we are labeled nothing more than a model minority, as we struggle to assimilate with our peers in the United States while maintaining a sense of culture. YouTube allows that balance to be held. Through YouTube, Asian Americans are able to show that we are capable of being normal, everyday people, not just token figures cast for a cheap laugh. Why should we passively sit by and let others take the spotlight? We are not afraid to be seen. It’s important for Asian Americans to share our stories to establish that we are more than our stereotypes.

PH

8. Simione Havea says:

I found out that many of the Indian parts of the Asian Americans died of racial profiling. After 9/11, many of the Aarabians had been killed because only they had long beards and head turbans. That caught my attention causing me to realize how messed up society is now a days. I t is important to know about these stories because our country is a lie. We need to realize the issues and terrors that are happening that are untold.

9. Ian Boddy says:

I told the untold asian american study of unknown asian american athletes in the 2012 olympics. I found that there were many asian americans in the 2012 olympics and was surprised at the amount. I also found many of their stories were very intriguing. I think its important to share this so more asian americans rise up to the challenge of the olympics and follow their dreams. Its also important because many people lose their dream and maybe these inspiring stories will bring them some hope.

10. Saden Manandhar says:

In the library display, our group did the description of ten musical instruments from three countries of Asia;China, Mongolia and Nepal. We put in at least three pictures of a single instrument in the display. The three pictures of each instruments was the image of the instrument and also people playing that instrument. We did it so that people who looked into our display at the library would know how these instruments were actually played. We tried to make our display more visual and colorful rather than stuff it with a lot of text. People obviously look more into images than reading the whole description. Our group really had a nice time working on the whole project of revealing the untold. We found out that those musical instruments had social and cultural ties to the particular society. I felt that sharing about the musical instruments from Asia could say a lot about a particular country. On top of that it shows that the Asian have their own culture and identity.

11. xiaolan wen says:

In Asian pacific American story, we told the similarities and difference among four films that are directed by Yimou Zhang. We focused on four aspects which are politics, urbanization, color image, and woman’s issues to explore. Mostly, His stories were enigmatic fables related to the reality of veiled politics in the pass. I think it is important to share, because his films reflect the old society, and it would be a good way to explore and understand the culture of china.

12. Lawrence Wai Che Li says:

I learn to study Asian Film at Laney College. Our term members came to different country. We have the different cultures. We display different kinds of marriage, lucky and unlucky, new year habit. We are the strong organization and more information.

13. Brian Cervantes says:

The untold Asian American story that we covered was that of Asian American Olympians. The first thing i thought that it would be hard to find ten athletes. Instead i realized that there were more than enough for each set of olympics. I was a bit surprised at how many of them were also women. They also covered almost all the sports. We were able to find more than ten untold stories and eventually had to choose which ones we wanted to use. We also didn’t only choose medal winners because those are the stories that are always told.
    The only male we choose was Sammy Lee who was a great Olympic diver in the 40’s. We also discovered that he is still alive today, and was also a Olympic coach for other divers after him. The biggest thing I discovered was how charitable most of these athletes are. They tend to give a lot of their time helping others. One big surprise i found out that was Natalie Coughlin i did not realize that she was a quarter Filipina.

14. jingyi Xiao says:

I told the students to know about 10 laney staff. I found their information such as where they from?, what do they do at laney. I think this important because i want the students know about them. they are very thoughtful and helpful. all the students if need help, just go to ask them help.

15. Cissy Lau says:

I told “untold” story about ten famous chinese directors.I found their background information,famous movies, how many awards did they get, what kind of style do they directe,their purpose and so on.
    I think this class is asian american film. so it’s so important to know more about film directors.
    We have teachers in school, instructors in the arts, and coaches in sports, all types of mentors that help their students succeed. The same thing applies to the arts, particularly film. In the making of a film, the director is a type of creative leader and mentor, not only to the actors or crew, but also to the story. He shapes it and directs its creativity.Thus, I think it’s better for you to learn this class better if you know more about film directors.

16. CiJie Kuang says:

From this project, I have learned many things that I didn’t know before. An untold Asian pacific America story I told is three countries, China, Vietnam, Myanmar’s superstition. When I did it, I found out China has more superstition things than I thought. Also, I know about some superstition of other countries. Nowadays, many young people don’t know what superstition is. Some of the people know that, but they don’t believe that and forget it little by little. Even though superstition is not scientific, I think it is one part of country culture. We should know about it and let more people know about it. That’s why it’s important to share this story.

17. CiJie Kuang says:

CiJie Kuang 3498

18. Toan Le says:

When the idea of Asian Entertainers appears, the first thought that comes to mind would be Martial Arts. However, not all Asians are familiar with martial arts, but it’s a stereotype that perceives us as Asians. The main goal of our project was to open up the eyes of other people to be able to see that we Asian Americans have numerous other talents! Some of us are able to sing in a wonderful tone that’ll make your body melt, while others may be able to blow your mind with our outrageously, courageous dance moves, or maybe leave an innocent bystander dumbfounded with our amazing artistic skills. We’re not implying that only Asians are capable of achieving these skills. We’re implying that we’re just like everybody else in the world, an empty vessel waiting to find our special talent.

19. Yushao Liu says:

I told the Asian Pacific American story was Zhang Yimou’s films. His films were very famous in China. I find something was very difference in our live such as the women’s status. The old women were very hard to live in the old society. They didn’t have any choose by themselves.They only could follow their parent’s arrangement. This stories are important to share because some people who born in America they don’t know the old women how to live in the old society in China. Zhang Yimou’s films were a good way that let them to understand the culture of China.

20. Benny Luong says:

The untold Asian pacific American story that I told was about my dad being an officer during the Vietnam War. His name is Muoi Luong and he also happened to be a surgeon. He was following the colonel during the war. He said that he was afraid during the war because people would hide in the bushes with snipers and assault rifles. My dad said that he was a huge fan of Adolf Hitler, who was a very powerful and strong leader. I found out that my dad had his riches in Vietnam before he moved back to the US. I think that it is important to share this story to spread the information of how significant Asian Pacific Americans can be. We need to spread the knowledge of how Asian Americans changed the world. This story is important to me because my dad luckily survived the war and moved back to the US. If my dad never made it out the war then I would not be alive. This story is told because my father is a hero in my heart.

21. Alan says:

As we live in The United states, we learn the common names of the wealthy people of the west. We have not noticed the wealthy people in the East. The wealthy people of the east also have a major impact on the global economy but since we are from the west, we tend not to learn about them. I have learned that rich people are rich people. Some people are of no use to society, and don’t give back. Others try to give back, and help others out. These stories are not well known, they have an impact on how we live. These people do influence our lives whether we know it or not. So we should learn who they are.
    A.Y.

22. LIANG YONG HONG says:

In the past five weeks,I was working in small groups to design and develop our team projects.We introduced some of China (Hong Kong) dramas.For example:Moonlight Resonance.This is a big traditional family story.People can know about the Chinese family.
    Because my English is not very good, so in this time in the PROJECT,I don’t need to collection the information, I only told everybody about my real family story.This is my story:When my daughter was a child, she always didn’t do the homework, just watching the TV.But she need to do the homework. So I turned off the TV, and told her must do the homework.When I turned off the TV, she was very angry and didn’t eat anything.
    Whenever, I was worried about her but I still insisted my opinion. Now she was grew up, she began to understand why I would did it before. And she was very thankful for my strict request.
    Now, I am very happy and gratified about her understanding. In this PROJECT, I have a lot of feelong, At first, my group of people are very lazy, no one is willing to do the display.
    Finally because of the teacher’s request to punish us in this before 8 PM into the DISPLAY board,So we will try our best in limited time with the limited resources to accomplish.But after completion of this, we all feel a lot of feeling of success.I want to show all about my country to all people,let people konow abot my country.And I want everybody konw about the family love,family is the most important relation for us.So we want to share this story for people.

23. Swee Chew says:

Our group decided to explore common superstitions in three Asian countries: China, Vietnam, and Myanmar. We came up with this topic because we feel like their beliefs still influences their decisions making process and their lives on daily basis wherever they settle down. Throughout the research and group gathering, we find out that some of the superstitions in those countries are similar and can be related to while others are totally unusual and unreasonable. It is important to learn about various superstitions from different cultural backgrounds because knowing their beliefs can help us better understand each other and assist us in communication. SC

24. Diem Nguyen says:

Hey! I love how the Ethnic Studies Department that the Asian/Asian American Studies (AAAS) program at Laney College showed a course project work. I like this project. We were hard working with theme “Asian Pacific American Untold Stories”. Stories told about all the Asian cultures that exist in the world and in America. From these stories we are current issues relevant to the Asian Pacific American experience today. Excellently, YouTube’s Asian Channel! They focused in the Asian American community on You Tube Channel

25. Duc Hua says:

We talked about 10 of the staffs in Laney. It is interesting understand the successful people. We learned about their stories in the US. I want to share my view about the US, the people. I want people appreciate them helps.

26. Ying Chao says:

I had interviewed these 10 people, Chai Vern Saechao, Cynthia Tajing, Tomoko Rouchebush, Lilian Chow, Nancy Lu, Kathy Tran, Vu Phan, Vanessa Lam, Tammy Nguyen and Muy Ung who all work at Laney College. They are very hard working people and they try their best to make things different. They are kind to all students, and they work very patiently with students. They are extraordinary and passionate and do amazing jobs. They are very grateful and supportive to all students. They gives advice and guide students to the right directions. These programs are great services to meet students need.
    If student use these services and follow the directions, they are put on the right track and can be success for their future. I think these programs and services are very important to all students. I am highly recommending these services to all students at Laney. The student should go visit to learn about their services. They always have special services for students who have special needs.

-Y.C.

27. Amanda C. says:

The untold story that my team and I did were hate crimes/discrimination against Asian Americans. We found plenty hate crime cases all across the nation. Many of these stories that we researched were appalling. The people that committed these hate crimes were cold, heartless. I couldn’t even begin to think of that happening to one of my loved ones or to myself even. To share these stories with as many as we can is important because the people it happened to deserve to be acknowledged for the horrible things they went through. We should all be educated about the racism our ancestors encountered.

28. Ariunjargal Mendjargal says:

A. My group project was about Asian ten music instruments from Mongolia, Nepal, and Chinese. All instruments have related with origin country’s history and culture. Even though Asia has many countries, there have similar instruments. For example: that three countries all have violin style instruments. Which mean Asian base of the culture and history same. I was surprised when we were working on this project because three countries have a similar culture base.
    Ariunjargal Mendjargal /3953/, M,W 11AM
    B. It is important to share this story because we have to know about our countries culture and history even we are living in America. Also, our kids have to realize and understand where their parents come from. It is a discovering Asian American history.

29. Ariunjargal Mendjargal says:

30. noah says:

we told the story of untold stories from the gaming business. we mostly did the asian and asian american contributions to gaming. most of the worlds most popular games are mode by asians. most all the characters in games are western despite being made by asians. i thought it was important to share this as it affects the self image of all asians.
    nb

31. SINTING AU says:

This project made me learned a lot of things. We used a lot of time to improved our powerpoint and display-board again and again. At that time, I with my teams member have a good relationship because we were work together. My group of theme is about Chinese family love. In our display-board, we use many photos, all is about the family, and put that to mix a big heart.

My position is research a film called “the joy luck club.” This is about 4 Chinese immigrant women and their 4 American-born daughters. Have a once, the four immigrants meet at the Chinese church in San Francisco and agree to continue to meet to play Mah Jong. They call their Mah Jong group the Joy Luck Club.

Why I want to share this film to you, because I want people to know about their life( the immigrants people), How they lives hard in the second country. Especially about they are how to get along with their sons/daughters.

32. li mei ou says:

A) Our powerpoint shows Chinese films and the famous chinese directors. For example, Zhang Yimou is good at direction of art film.<>-2004 martial arts film directed by Zhang Yimou. It differs from other martial arts films in that it is more of a love story than a straight martial arts film.
    B) I want to share an interesting fact with you. These directors became well-known in their late 30’s.They all have their signature directing styles and like cooperating with certain actors or actresses and their styles are also widely different.

33. Dung Truong says:

My team worked on the project, titled “Superstitions,” basing on ten elements such as lucky and unlucky numbers, animals, relationship, marriage, new year, funeral, dates, color, gifts, and rituals in three Asian countries: VietNam, China, and Myanmar. After finishing this project, I realized that there are many new and interesting things that I have not known. We compared and recognized that three countries have the some similar and different believes. Some superstitions are believed to bring luck and happy for people in one country, but in other countries they are viewed as bad things.
    What I found when working on this project is that each country has its own culture and belief basing on the experience that was formed and kept in a very long time. However, the final purpose of the superstitions is to bring a happy and long life for all people.
    I think it is important to tell these stories. The reason is that sharing these stories will help not only my all team members but also all people to more understand about the Asian cultures and have better communication to each other although we have different cultures and backgrounds.
    DT

34. Jiayu He says:

The “untold” Asian Pacific American story that I found interesting was the story about Katherine Sui Fun Cheung. Before I do the research, all I know about her was the fact that she was the first Chinese American woman who becomes a licensed pilot. After I did the research, I admired her persistence of doing the things that she wants to do. She rather gave up her talented and studied something that she wasn’t capable of. The reason why I choose to share this story is because I think this is a very good anecdote or example to encourage those people who are suffering or trying to give up their goals, nothing is impossible in this world, we should always turn obstacles into miracles, just like what Katherine did!
    JH

35. Stephanie Ng says:

My group told the story of 10 Asian American successful fashion designers. I found out that each designer had their own reasons that got them into fashion, such as family or it was something that interested them. A few of our designers either worked or had family who worked in the fashion industry.
    There are many reasons why we should tell their story. One of which is to tell us that we should follow our dreams, do what we want not what someone else wants. Another is to not let others put you down, persevere in what you do and it will succeed in the long run.

36. Chanh says:

The “untold” story that I presented was about the great minds behind the vastly popular video game franchise, Pokemon. I was able to uncover its creator, Satoshi Tajiri and the life he lived which has led to the creation of a house hold name. I was able to find out the troubles he had and his influences that has allowed him to be so successful. The importance of this is to acknowledge the person behind such an amazing series. Pokemon has not only shaped the gaming industry but has also effected American society, especially our youth you use the lessons of relationships and importance of friends and how to treat them. C.S.

37. Akram saleh says:

My name is akram saleh and what talked about Asian pacific Americans untold stories about religion and the different religions and cultures .during the process of the project the professors assigned groups and my group decided to tell the untold religions asia and also to tell the class of what we think that they don’t know which were 10 religions in Asia.

38. Bryan Ng says:

We told the story of 10 Untold Asian-American Fashion Designers. I found that each individual had their own unique ways entering the fashion business. Also I found out that their inspirations for clothing lines vary from objects to personality and etc. It is important to share these stories to inform and or inspire the Asian-American community to pursue their dreams and aspiration. Also another important reason to share these stories is to acknowledge those who achieved something, but who are not recognized for it.

39. Abdi Ahmed says:

Hi my name is abdi Ahmed I was recently involved Asame45 untold story’s. my group consist of fours other, the idea that me and my group came up with was to tell the class the untold religions in Asian Pacific Americans some of the religion that we pick was already familiar to the class so therefore, we stayed fair away from Islam and Christianity and the commly known religions. Instead we approached the religions that weren’t familiar to us and to our peers. End the result we presented the master piece to the class hoping to enlighten them with unusual religions in Asian that they have not heard of.
    Abdi Ahmed

40. Sumei Huang says:

This project,I told story about famous Chinese direct.I found director the background.Each director how many award did they get.I have learned many things that I don’t know before.
    I thank it’s important to share this story to know more about famous director and different cultures.

41. Liu Yanmei says:

My “untold” Asian Pacific American story project was “ Four Films of Zhang Yimou”. I wanted to let people know Zhang Yimou’ early films and how his early films influenced China. I found he likes to use red color and the color has imagery in each film. Also, I found his films all as a veiled allegory against authoritarianism. It is important to share this story because Zhang’s early films recurrent themes is the resilience of Chinese people in the face of hardship and adversity, and we can through his films to explored how women were fighting the old tradition.

42. Kent Ho says:

-To Professor Fujioka, I know I’m like 1 hour late on this, but I still did the blog just for you.
    -I learn a lot that I didn’t know before from this group project. Me and my group did the project on the unknown Asian American Athletes who represented Team USA in this past 2012 Olympics. It was interesting to find that there were at least about 20 different Asian American competing in the Olympics. I found that they were all from different cultures. I did a research on Nathan Adrian (a swimmer) who competed in the Olympics and still attends Cal University, who would of knew?!
    -I think its important to share this story because not many people may think that so many Asians can actually compete in the Olympics. I mean if they’re good at what they’re doing then I don’t see why they can’t compete. This inform people that Asian American can compete as much as others.
    K.H.

43. Fan Mo says:

Our group project is “The Wealthiest People in 10 Countries of Asia/South Asia”. I did research on Japan & Thailand. Now I know who the richest person in these countries is, how do they become rich, and what do they do for their community. It’s important for Asian American to get more information about the Asian countries, and people may get ideas of being rich from those wealthier as well.

44. Oanh Huynh says:

An untold Asian Pacific American story that i told is about the interesting facts of marriage life in ten Asian countries. There are so many different interesting things that i have not known before. The cultural, or traditional wedding ceremonies are not the same in each country. For example, in China, bride and groom mostly wear their traditional red dress; also, they decorate their houses with red color which is considered the happiness. The bride is also given a lot of jewelries such as, necklaces, earring, or ring which make from gold instead of gift or money.To share this story helps me get more knowledge about the culture and tradition of some Asian countries that i love.

45. Thao Bui says:

Our group work on the project named “Marriage life of Asian couples”. We do the research on 10 sample countries: Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, China, Japan, India, South Korea, Pakistan, Brunei, Saudi Arabia. Through our work, we found out a lot of interesting facts that we believe many of us haven’t even heard. For example, the fact that majority of Japanese women today strive to give birth without the use of painkillers because of the belief that labor pain will act as a test that they have to endure in preparation for the challenging role of motherhood. Or the fact that Arab women are not allow to interact with any man except her guardian ( her father, brother or husband). so, in order to avoid breaking the rule, there is a solution that they breastfeed that man to make a symbolic maternal bond. However, the rule doesn’t state clearly that the man drink milk from a glass or directly from the woman breast? People understand the rule differently which lead to some odd circumstances.

46. Thao Bui says:

I think the information that our group sharing to everyone is helpful and necessary for our class. Learn more about other countries’ culture and customs help us improve our knowledge as well as our confidence in communication which is necessary for our work and social relationship.

47. Masayo Harada says:

Our group has researched the top 10 richest Asians in the world. The research purpose was to show how the wealthy Asians established strong presences in the world, and how they give some back to society. Through the research, I found out that although Asian population is growing in the world, it is still not popular to see many Asians at the top of the wealthiest list. Also, most of the wealthiest Asians are only living in Asia, not in the western cultural countries. It seems that there are still income disparities between the races in the world. The positive thing that I found was most of the top 10 wealthiest Asians are trying to improve their countries’ difficult situations by making donations or establishing the non-profit organizations. It is important to know that the wealthy are not only focused on their benefit, but they also encourage improving their society.
    M.H

48. Tung La says:

We worked on a project of discovering the untold story of the marriage life in 10 Asian countries. And we found out that a lot of those countries have similarities in their wedding culture. some of them are good but some of them are too traditional. young people nowadays they want to keep part of their traditional culture and adapt it to the western modern style. i think it is good for them.

49. Tram says:

A) My group presentation was about rice and food associated with it. We discussed how deep rice was embedded in many Asian cultures. Rice has been used in many important Asian ceremonies as symbols of luck, wealth, and fertility…Not only rice is popular in Asian countries, its popularity is being increased in the United States because when Asian moved here, they brought rice with them.
    B) We wanted to tell the story about rice because we think that it is necessary for us to talk about the most important ingredient of our daily diet. Rice is eaten at least once a day in every Asian household. T.N