Image: Scenes from around campus

AAAS Library Display at Laney College

12 October 2012. 102 comments

The Ethnic Studies Department proudly announces the Third Multicultural Art and Library Display, organized by students taking courses in the Asian/Asian American Studies (AAAS) program at Laney College. The goal of the visual and mixed media presentation is to engage the campus community by showcasing course project work.

162 students have been diligently working in small groups over the last five weeks to design and develop their team projects.
The theme of the library display is “Asian Pacific American Untold Stories: What Don’t You Know? Why Don’t You Know it?” Student generated topics and research questions focus on current issues relevant to the Asian Pacific American experience today. They have been working collaboratively inside and outside the classroom, many of whom have been conducting interviews using social science research skills, doing outreach by contacting local community organizations and analyzing visual media in order to prepare and produce their educational, political, historical and cultural displays.

The Laney College AAAS Library Display will start on Monday, October 8th and wrap up on Monday, October 15, 2012. The library hours are: Monday-Thursday, 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM, and Friday 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM (closed on weekends). We invite you to visit the library, main floor, to browse, share and enjoy our multicultural art installation. Please help us celebrate the contributions of Asian Pacific Americans to the diversity and history of the United States.

Filed under: Announcements, Laney College. Tagged: , ,

102 Comments

1. Jamena Levi says:

My group did our project on China,Vietnam,and Myanmar superstitious. We find that all three of them have very different superstitions. We did their numbers,rituals, holidays, and religions. We did their lucky/unlucky numbers, their kinds of animals, their marriage,their colors, and special dates. This was a very nice project that we did. It was very good team work. JL

2. talitha mcadams says:

Our project focused on racial and ethnic identity in American films: specifically, is it okay for non-Asian actors to portray Asian characters? We took a random survey and found that responses were mixed: some pollees felt that believability should be the determining factor and others stated that any actor playing a character of another race was unacceptable. The question of actors playing a different ethnicity also had a range of responses and we were unable to find any clear trend among the responses. However the most interesting part of this project for me wasn’t the questions we answered but the questions our research raised. For example: how does one define race and ethnicity; how are those definitions shaped by political, social and economic influences; does the media reflect or shape our views on race and ethnicity; if we as an audience require that actors only play characters of the same race and ethnicity, is that a form of discrimination; what roles would people of mixed heritage play; and many more. Each of these unanswered questions is a story waiting to be told. Before this project I never thought to ask these questions, now I look forward to hearing the answers.

3. Xiaojian Su says:

My group presented the 10 Famous Firsts by Chinese-Americans. We searched how they became successful in their adept field and their hidden contribution. From this presentation, we found that some Firsts faced the difficulties and discrimination when they immigrated to the U.S, but they all surmounted it and got the respect from others. This point can inspire the future generations to work much harder. That’s why we share these stories to everyone. In fact, all these are inspiring stories.

4. Xiaojian Su says:

5. Mingwei An says:

My group topic is the horror movie! We choice 10 movies. The 5 movies from original and 5 movies were remade from the American. I want student can compari that which one looks scare and which one looks better. There also have the movies summary on the board, people can know what happen in the movie.
    I think it is important because it can allow people to experience the charm of the horror movie.

6. XiaoJian Su says:

SXJ

7. Trinh Tran says:

My project is about 10 common superstition in 3 countries Viet nam, Myamar and China. Through my project i can learn a lot of thing about cultural, social, and custom.i think it important for people improve their education.im interesting when i study in this class. It’s wonderful

8. Chi Hang Ko says:

Our group project is “The Wealthiest People in 10 Countries of Asia/South Asia”. I did some research on South Korea and Indonesia.I’m interested in how they become rich. Now I know who is richest person in these countires.I think it’s important to share so that we know what they have done in order to gain their status today.

9. Chi Hang Ko says:

Our group project is “The Wealthiest People in 10 Countries of Asia/South Asia”.I did some research on Korea and Indonesia.Now I Know who is the richest person in these countries.i’m interested in how they become rich. In fact, I think it is important to share how they gained their status so that we can follow their path.

10. Tiffany Tran says:

Our group asked the question of whether race is relevant in films and in the casting of films. We created a survey and asked folks on campus and around Oakland to share their thoughts. I expected to see that most people would be offended or upset if their race, or even ethnicity, were portrayed by an actor that was not from the same race/ethnic group. Our results did not reflect that sentiment and were somewhat inconclusive. We concluded from our survey data that because there are so many factors that go into how people identify themselves, there was no clear yes/no answers for those questions, and that concepts of race/ethnicity are very fluid and inconsistent. This is important because it shows how we identify ourselves is constantly changing, especially in the U.S. in this day and age.
    -TT

11. Sureewan says:

Our presentation is about Asian horror movies which were remade in American version. We watched both versions and tried to see what are similarities and differences. I noticed that some of them follow the atmosphere and styles of the original version. For example, they use the same actress as the original one. Some movies is changed the ending of the movies or add more characters in the story. Some movies use the similar location as the original just changed the actors from Asian to American. I think watching movie give us more than entertainment. For me, it likes a communication process from the film maker and audience. Remaking a movie from Asian by American is interesting in the way of how they going to revise the story for different group of audience. Also the way they use to interpret and translate the story to the audiences. It’s complicate to remake a movies from a perspective of a culture to another culture. SW.

12. john lo says:

my group decided to do our project on the different waves of international music such as k-pop, cantopop and j-pop and whether or not students at laney college had adopted or heard of any of the artists we listed. we listed artists from all the listed genres, and we discovered that one of the artists, PSY was the most well known. the reason i think that it turned out that way was because PSY was able to break into the american market with a catchy song that everone likes, but also the internet played a huge part because people are able to see it and share it with other people. the most important part about the project i felt like was to get people to know what music in asian countries sound, how they are differ from the more popular music in america. music in asia is very good and has had trouble breaking into the american market and i feel like artists can break into the american market if given the chance and if people accepted them, i like cantonese music alot and i feel that since the advent of the internet and youtube,people have the capablities to listen asia music because its just like american music just in another language.

13. LIYI LIANG says:

The untold Asian pacific American story that I told was about how the first Chinese Americans became famous and how successful they are. As we all know, to be success is not easy and you should keep working for what you believe or what you want. So that I found about even if them are successful now but they also have a period of hard work in the past. It is inevitable to feel hard during to keep working until to be sussecc so that I think it is important to share their story. Because of we need to reference the example of their success and also upgrade ourselves.

14. lixia chen says:

The title of project we did was Famous Firsts (1900-Today)by Asian Americans.We explained ten famous Chinese Americans. Moreover,we showcased the contributions in their field. We did the project since we consider these ten people were successful in their field. We can take encouragement from their stories.

15. Tracy Luc says:

My group explored and researched about the background and origin of rice. We also looked into the traditions, symbols/symbolic meanings, and foods from several ethnic countries that are associated with rice. Moreover, we also tried to demystify the stereotype of “All Asians love or eat rice.” My group wanted to inform students about the popularity of rice and the consumption and production rates of rice as well. From my research, I have found a lot of new information that I did not knew before about rice. To begin with, I already knew that there were many different types of rice that exist, but I did not know that there is a total of at least 140,000 different varieties of rice. The next thing that I found was the traditions and symbols that are associated with rice. Before working on this project, I had an idea of some of the rice traditions and symbols, but researching on the specific topic gave me a more clear and better understanding for what rice is used for and how it is used.

I think it is important to share this story because even though some may not really care about the topic, I feel that they are not informed about the different types of rice that exist and don’t understand the concept of rice. Some may not be aware that there rice are associated with other ingredients as well, such as rice noodle, rice paper, and rice flour. Also, some may assume that rice is only used for eating, when really it is associated with a lot of traditions and symbols in different cultures and is used in a variety of ways.

-TL

16. Jackie Lin says:

Our group was trying to figure out if Laney students adopted the mainstream accustoms of Japanese, Korean, or Chinese pop culture. We conducted this research by creating a survey that consist of twelve artists and questions. From the survey we would be able to conclude which of artists are well known, the general feeling and reaction to these diverse pop culture.

17. Eva Kratochvilova says:

My group explored actors playing different racial and ethnical identities and its relevancy to today’s society. My group discussed many various and associated topics and questions about this topic. For example, we were talking if it is relevant for the actor to portray different race/ethnicity than his own. Since history definitely provided us with some examples such as Mr. Yunioshi from “Breakfast at Tiffany’s”, we asked ourselves if audience still feels upset and uncomfortable when white actors play minorities, even though Asian ethnicities are no longer minorities in the US. We questioned if actors in their professions have the right to portray whom they want and how come the producers still feel to cast the white actors for most of the leading roles in American films, even though the race/ethnicity of the character is not the same of the actor. We created survey asking people how they feel about actors portraying different races/ethnicities and by that invading the culture of that race/ethnicity. Our data turned out almost equal saying that half felt that it was invasive and racist and half didn’t care. As we were creating the questions and surveying people we found that people don’t have unified ideas about what race and ethnicity represents and even the scientists don’t have one general definition. It was clear that countries, especially right now in the global connection, create and use their own definitions, and it is becoming more difficult to identify race and ethnicity especially since people are moving across the globe and intermarriage becomes more accepted.
    I think that our project’s outcome was important to share because we expected to have data showing that it is racist for actors to play other races/ethnicities than their own, but it wasn’t true. Maybe it is because we live in the Bay Area, and we are used to see people of many races/ethnicities, so our minds are more opened. If we would live perhaps in the center of the US, our data would show more one way results.
    Our board and our PowerPoint presentation concentrated mostly on images and comparison of actors and actresses in their real life version and movie portrayal. Some of the actors wore heavy makeup and imitated Asians, specifically Katherine Hepburn in the Dragon Seed, and some didn’t. Maybe projecting that it is unnecessary to go that far to bring up the life of various races/ethnicities for the audiences’ imagination. We also had our survey data organized in chart pies and general definitions of race and ethnicity on the display.
    EK

18. James Fong says:

My group did our presentation on Asian video game developers, as well as Asian video games. Our group found that a number of people and video games had a large impact on our American society. We had also found information that most Americans have never known about our “stories”. It is important to reference the people and games because there is a very large influence on the world, but specifically America. For example, much of the youth in this country revolve around the gaming industry. JF

19. Huyen Nguyen says:

Our project is “Marriage life in 10 Asian Countries”. The untold story that we tell is the differences in marriage life in 10 Asian countries about religion, culture, health science, family and legislation. For example, candy is fed to Pakistani marriage couples to wish them a sweetness life.
    I think it is really important to share the stories because we can learn about the Asian culture, lifestyle and people. Therefore, we can understand Asian and be connecting with each other.

20. Chi Hang Ko says:

21. Alvin Ma Kwan says:

22. Alvin Ma Kwan says:

The “untold” Asian Pacific American story I told was basically the deeper meaning of rice. Rice isn’t always something you can just eat but may be used in various ways. In our findings, we concluded that rice can be associated with traditions, symbols, are other kind of ethnic foods. It is important to tell this story because not that much people are informed about rice and they aren’t familiar with other things that are associated with rice as well. It’s also important because it illustrates popularity in Asian cultures and it demonstrates that rice is diverse since it’s the key ingredient in lots of Asian foods and dishes. AM

23. Thuan Phan says:

In our project, we told the untold story about marriage life in 10 Asian countries. As first we thought that they’d be very boring and easy because we thought that all Asian countries have same cultures. However, the more we researched about their cultures, the more we discovered that there were so many interesting details about each country’s wedding and culture. Moreover, we had spent many time working on this project because we there were so many interesting things about those countries. Therefore, we tried hard to choose the most interesting facts about those countries to show in the presentation. I think with those information, i think we would know more about the Asian countries and their cultures, in wedding especially. T.P.

24. Jun Ruan says:

25. Jun Ruan says:

My group was talking about the untold story and impact from the video game to our culture. We found that most of the Asian game creator put a lots of Western element into their game. In addition, the American market is able to see and feel the culture of the eastern from the gaming world. People are able to feel the feeling to live with the building and culture that is diffident from where they live in the real world from the internet. JR

26. Lejah Evans says:

I had a great time working on this project. The research was intruiging and i got along well with my group. Not only did i learn alot working with my group, I learned alot from my other classmate’s projects as well.

27. Hoi lam Liang says:

My presentation was on wealthiest people in 10 Asian/southeast Asian countries, I found out that most of wealthiest people in Southeast Asian countries are mainly immigrants originated from china. Most Chinese were able to succeed. I think it is important to think about why all these countries have rich people that are Chinese instead of people from their own country. For most of the current wealthiest people, they were from a rich family and took over their father business, that raise the question of rich becomes richer, and the poor stays poor.

28. yuxian Miao says:

our group project focused on Asian and Asian American Artists finding success. We explained the singnificance 10 current Asian American artists on YouTube. We researched how it has benefit Asian and Asian Americas in gaining recognition and overrall fame through their talents.I think it is important to tell this story because these people were successful in their field. We can take encouragment from them.

29. Susana Vuong says:

My group did the project on the different wedding attires of countries in Asia. We compared the traditional wedding attires of the Philippines, Cambodia, China, Vietnam, Taiwan, Thailand, India, Korea, Japan and Hawaii. It was interesting to find that as different as these cultures seem to be, their traditional choice of colors to wear and shy away from are super similar. Red means lucky, gold means wealth, also blue means serenity and and purity. Most of the cultures actually shy away from the color white and black because those are normally the color of mourning. It’s just important to see that as different as people seem to think these cultures are, there are many similarities we have yet to discover. SV

30. Chau says:

Our group discussed about Asian Traditional Wedding Dresses of Taiwan, Philippines, Thailand, Korea, China, Vietnam, Japan, Hawaii, Indonesia, and India. It’s so amazing. We discovered something inherently mysterious and romantic about Asia. For example, In Japan, purple is the color of love and a young bride may choose to wear an elaborately-embroidered silk kimono covered in purple iris-flowers. Or the traditional wedding gown in China is bright red, symbolizing luck for the new couple. Chinese bridal gowns are traditionally adorned with elaborate golden phoenixes, chrysanthemums and peonies, symbols of wealth and good fortune. The rich diversity of Asian cultures, traditions and religions makes for a wide variety of colorful and fascinating wedding dresses. Many Asian cultures, many traditions, but all are centered around the basic concept of a new beginning, a new journey down the path of life together, hand in hand, filled with love and a new commitment of two hearts joined forever as one.

31. Mai A Ly says:

My group project is showing about traditional wedding dresses of 10 Asian countries. It’s very interesting because we can see some similarities in color, material, symbol, shape…of wedding dresses between Asian countries. These dresses are fabulous, beautiful and colorful. We also see special points in culture of each country. I think although wedding dresses today become more modern, more fashion but it’s very important to keep traditional wedding dress

32. Ka Yiu Iva Lee says:

In our project, we told the unfold story about ten unknown Chinese actor and actress in some famous Chinese movies. We thought that they would be very interesting because lot of people probably know lot of celebrities by heart. However, there are not the only actor or actress in the movie, nevertheless they are only a very small percentage of all the people that involve in those films. Moreover, I realized that those unknown actors and actresses have played a lot of good Chinese movies and TV shows in China. Although they have played so many well know movies, but those movies don’t let them become famous. I.L.

33. Millie Leung says:

The 10 “untold” story my group talked about was vegetation. The two vegetation I chose to share with my APA class are cashew apple and wolfberry. Everybody knew what cashew nuts are, but never realize an apple grow on its top. This apple’s skin is very fragile, therefore it can’t be export from Asia. This fruit is rich in nutrients and contains five times more vitamin c than an orange. Most Asian treasure wolfberry because it is useful. Asian doctors use it for herb, chef uses it for soup, household use it for daily diet. Both of these vegetation are beneficial to our health therefore they are important for us to recognize them, take advantage of them, and use them. ML

34. Khanh Nguyen says:

My group presented the successful Japanese media in American culture. What forms Japanese entertainment have become popular in America? America is a country full of people from many different places and has adopted other cultures forms of media. We showed how one of those cultures, Japan has grown popular in American Culture through film, manga and anime.

35. Dan Li says:

My group was talking Asian American in Olympic Game or other Sport competition have gotten achievements. Someone before lived in Asian country had got gold medal in Olympic Game and changed citizenship to become American to join Olympic Game again. Someone was born in the US, but their Personal trainer came from their primitive country. Asian great dedicate to the US in sport.

36. Hieu (hn) says:

my group was talking about 10 untold fruits, which are Mangosteen, Rambutan, Rurian, Water Caltrop, Mammee Apple, Bael, Pitaya, Litchi, Cashew apple, Wolfberry. The reason why we did this, is because these are the fruits that we commonly eat. But not many people know the taste and nutrition that fruits carry. Also they are known for creating medicine.

37. Camphor says:

The presentation my team and I put together is about some unknown and/or unpopular fruits and vegetation from Asia. We pointed out some very interesting facts about these exotic fruits such as their history and their uses. Due to some of their unique characteristics, they are offend misunderstood by the general public. And like many other imported products, they are sometimes, limited or banded from the Country. It is to my belief that these fruits and vegetation should be acknowledge for their nutritional values so that we can all enjoy their benefits. H.Z.

38. Leslie Tong says:

The untold story my group and I chose to share was about largely beneficial Asian vegetation that was less popular. I chose three fruits to share with my fellow classmates; Pitaya, Mammee Apple, and Bael. Pitaya is another name for the dragon fruit and it is grown from cactus. Mammee Apple and Bael are fruits known to be confused for apricots or berries. They have similar values in nutrients such as Vitamin C, Calcium, Potassium, and many more.

39. Cynthia Trinh says:

Our group told the untold story of fruits that come from Asia. In American supermarkets many of the fruits talked about can not be found, so many people are unfamiliar with it. For my part in the project, I picked Mangosteen and Rambutan fruits. I gave a brief history behind each one and added nutritional value and medical uses. I believe it is important to tell APA untold story because it exposes uncommon people, places, and things. A person can come out of their comfort level and try and experience new things. Some of the fruits that was in our presentation was new information to me and I found it very interesting, which I hope other people found too.

40. Weng Ao says:

In our project, we introduced 10 untold stories about the fashion in Tang Dynasty of China.Because Tang Dynasty is an important period which many countries got deep influence by Tang Dynasty ,it is important to introduce this important dynasty to Asian and Asian-American. Also, the deepest influence that other countries got is customs and the fashion in Tang Dynasty is very special. Thus, we want to introduce those untold stories to people to let more people knowing about those special fashion. Moreover,we want to make people to know this flourishing period in Chinese history. W.A.

41. Ha Nguyen says:

My group project is about Asian, especially Japan, has grown popular in American Culture. Since animate film which originated in Japan and has become increasingly popular in America, I decide to choose animate film and introduce Hayao Miyazaki, one of Japan’s greatest directors as my part of the project. While doing the presentation and watching other groups explain their project, I’ve learned a lot from them. I know more about history of Asian, some traditional dresses from many countries, famous people that make me proud of … etc. I think it is important to tell untold story since being an Asian in America make people confuse about their identities. Being an Asian in America is difficult sometimes. Thus, knowing about the stories that we’ve never known that help people understand about other experiences, how they become successful or even failures will inspire people who are trying to adapt to the mainstream of society.
    H.N

42. Qin Lian Ling says:

My groups presentation was focused on the Asian American(s)on Youtube.We focus mainly on 10, and the reason why we picked those 10 youtubers is because they have very different personalities and all unique in their own way. We mainly talked about their past work and the reasons why they got famous/ how. I think this project was very interesting because I feel like a lot of Asian Americans watch them online and they get courage from them to live out their dreams, even if there different from the ÿoutubers personal dreams.

43. Weiqi Tan says:

Our topic was about the fashion in Tang Dynasty of China, I talked the “untold” story about the influence of Tang suit to other Asian countries, like Japan and Korea. Tang dynasty represents the most prosperous period of ancient China. China’s cultural exchanges with other countries through the Tang Dynasty, spread around the world. Until today, Japan, Korea, and their traditional costumes, still retained the face of China’s Tang Dynasty costumes. It’s important to tell it because I want to let more people know about how special and noble the Tang suit is. And people will explore more about it, thus comprehend the Tang dynasty in ancient China.

44. Liqianru Liu says:

The story that our group wanted to tell everybody was how the Japanese Media influenced in American Culture, and how this kind of stuff so popular in the United Stated. We had three part in our presentation. First, was the movie from American director but talked about the things in Japan. Second, was manga from Japan, this is kind of popular, but i thought people might didn’t know this also very famous in American. Last, was the anime that influenced all the japanese. I think Japan is strong on the media, its necessary that gets everybody knows it. Because lots of superhero from American is copy from Japan. And also, students might have a interested to look at this kind of Media.

45. Liqianru Liu says:

46. ngateng ng says:

Our groups project were introduce 10 unknown actress and actor. Those actress and actor are acting so good, but they are still not famous right now. I hope they will become famous in the future.

47. Mina Chuong says:

My group presented our project solely to recognize talented Asian Americans who have found their voice through YouTube. Since there aren’t a handful of Asians in Hollywood, we decided that our “untold” story would be based on Asian Americans finding success on YouTube. We chose to recognize artists, comedians, and filmmakers such as Timothy DelaGhetto, Michelle Phan, Freddie Wong, and Kevin Wu, that’s only to name a few. Since YouTube has been such a huge outlet for talented Asian Americans, I find it important to share this with people who aren’t too familiar with pop culture. MC

48. Ye, Bixia says:

Japan has major influence on American entertainment. Through our group project, we want to show how the American three forms of entertainment, film, manga, and anime, are affected by Japan a lot. Also, we want to show that Japanese products of these three media are very popular and common in America. The main reason that we showing the effect on American entertainment by Japan is that as a country in Asia, Japan has a great contribution to America, so the development of the prosperous American cannot without the culture of Asian countries. Therefore, in order to be a strongest and most powerful country, America must develop friendly relationship with the Asian countries.

49. Kin Chung Wong says:

Our group project is showing about 10 untold stories of fashion in Tung dynasty. I think that it is important to tell Tang dynasty to APA because it influence the fashions of nowadays. Such as the clothes and jewelry, some of them still based on the Tang Dynasty style for their design concepts. Moreover, we also want APA to know more about Chinese culture according to introduce the Tang Dynasty, because it was largely a period of progress and stability in China.

50. Meiqi Li says:

Our group presentation title was Chinese Costume and Fashion is Tang Dynasty. I did some research for the fashion in Tang Dynasty. Also Tang Dynasty is in the world recognized as one of China’s most powerful era. Tang Dynasty’s things influence for long time and some place. In this presentation our group compare about Korean and Japanese clothes style. However, we want to introduce some untold fashion clothes style to people, let more and people know about the fashion in Tang Dynasty. Tang Dynasty was a strong and prosperous times. Tang Dynasty in culture, politics, economy, diplomacy and other aspects have brilliant achievement.