Image: Scenes from around campus

Trustees Approve Contract For Dr. Jowel C. Laguerre To Begin As Next Chancellor July 1, 2015

24 June 2015

Jowel LaguerreOAKLAND, Calif., June 24, 2015 – At its final meeting of the fiscal year, Tuesday, June 23, 2015, the Board of Trustees of the Peralta Community College District voted unanimously to approve the employment contract of Jowel C. Laguerre, Ph.D., to serve as the next Chancellor of the northern Alameda County college district.

Dr. Laguerre will begin his three-year term as Peralta’s Chancellor on July 1, 2015. His base salary is $305,000 annually.

Meredith Brown, President of the Board of Trustees, quoted Marian Wright Edelman to say, “Education is for improving the lives of others and for leaving your community and the world better than you found it.”

“The Peralta Community deserves the best in all of us that are entrusted with its governance and operations and Dr. Laguerre brings a wealth of experience to the position and has demonstrated his leadership skills as the Superintendent-President of Solano Community College District,” President Brown said.

“Dr. Laguerre is uniquely qualified to lead the Peralta Colleges in the coming years, and the Board and I look forward to working together with him to address the achievement gap, completion rates and other important issues facing our community’s students,” President Brown added.

Dr. Laguerre issued a statement to the Peralta community following the Board’s vote. In the statement he said, “This vote to name me as Chancellor of the Peralta Community College District is very meaningful to me. I was not physically present at the meeting due to a prior commitment of serving others, as I am spearheading some community activities in Haiti.”

He continued, “I am grateful to the Search Committee for selecting me to be a finalist and I thank the Board of Trustees for entrusting me to lead this great district. I look forward to working in partnership with our colleges, the District Office and members of the community to continue driving Peralta’s momentum as a leader among community colleges in the region, the state and the nation. I look forward to providing all of our employees with the support they need to have a positive impact on the lives of our students.”

“My commitment is to work with the internal constituents and all segments of northern Alameda County to ensure that their investment of tax dollars in the Peralta Community College District is used for the benefit of our students.”

“I look forward to being an integral part of, and contributor to, the communities served by our district,” Dr. Laguerre added.

Dr. Laguerre’s biography can be found here: http://web.peralta.edu/files/2015/05/Background_and_Accomplishments.pdf

Filed under: Announcements, Board of Trustees, Peralta News. Tagged: , , ,

• Peralta Colleges

Tuesday 24 October 2017
    Powered by Wordpress

• Since 1964, the Peralta Community College District - comprised of Berkeley City College, College of Alameda, Laney College and Merritt College - has served the cities of Alameda, Albany, Berkeley, Emeryville, Oakland and Piedmont by providing 25,000 students each semester with a range of educational programs and life-long learning opportunities.
  • Peralta Colleges on Facebook Peralta Colleges on Twitter Peralta Colleges on YouTube Peralta Colleges on Instagram tumblr_logo_white_blue_32

•