Image: Scenes from around campus

Outstanding Grads: Cyntheria Owens, Merritt College President’s Medallion Award Winner

18 May 2016

FullSizeRender

Cyntheria Owens is Merritt College President’s Medallion Award winner for 2016. She is very proud that she was accepted to so many universities and in her own words, says, “I applied to 4 states and 3 UC’s and got accepted to 4 states and 3 UCs, the schools are Northridge, Cal Poly, San Francisco, East Bay, UC Riverside, UC Davis, and UC Berkeley.”

Here are some of her other accomplishments: My discipline(s) are African American Studies. Social Science and Behavior, and Health Science. I will do a study abroad in Accra Ghana in the summer of 2016. I am a PTK (Phi Theta Kappa honor society) member

I will attend UC Berkeley in the fall of 2016. My current G.P.A is 3.7. My major is Social Work and Ethnic Studies. I feel I can […] assist people of all walks of life with [an] emphasis in black and brown communities. Strengthen[ing] relations are apparently needed in this area.

I originally came from Redondo Beach, moved to Sacramento and [have] been a bay area [resident] since 2012, [living] in Oakland for 4 1/2 years. I have an X-ray license that I use when volunteering at the West Oakland Health Center in the Radiology Department. I participated in the Oakland Project, which is a community awareness [project concerning] the impact of Gentrification [on] black and brown people of Oakland.

Filed under: Announcements, Merritt College, Peralta News. Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

• Peralta Colleges

Friday 21 July 2017
    Powered by Wordpress

• Peralta Community College District

The district comprises four campuses serving northern Alameda County.
  • Peralta Colleges on Facebook Peralta Colleges on Twitter Peralta Colleges on YouTube Peralta Colleges on Instagram tumblr_logo_white_blue_32

•