Image: Scenes from around campus

Outstanding Grads of the Class of 2014: Meet Randi Elaine Stewart

29 May 2014

Randi Elaine Stewart

Randi Elaine Stewart graduated from College of Alameda last week and will be attending Cal State East Bay this coming fall.

Of her experience, she writes, “After an 8-year career in the corporate world, in October of 2010, I decided to return to school and obtain an Associate’s Degree in Business Administration. Although I did exceptionally well in both Bus 1A and 1B, I determined that working in this field was not something I wanted to pursue.  It was when I took Physical Geography at the College of Alameda that I discovered what truly interested me. Ever since, I have been captivated by the mechanisms of the Earth and have yearned to obtain a better knowledge of the planet and its rapidly changing systems. I immediately changed my major to Geography and am intending on using this education to obtain a career that involves environmental work or the use of Geographical Information Systems.”

“My goal is to work outdoors in a field where my research and development will contribute to the preservation our planet’s natural resources,” Randi says. And she is well on her way, attending CSU East Bay as Geography major.

Randi is a CalWORKs student who has maintained two work-study positions (working 25-30 hours per week) while concurrently enrolled in 12 units and maintaining a 3.79 GPA.  Randi is a member of Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society.   In addition, the college scholarship committee selected Randi to receive the 2014 $500 Follett Bookstore Scholarship Award.

As a single mom on welfare, Randi writes, “I know firsthand the hardships that accompany the pursuit of higher education. I found my path and was able to enroll in school and pursue a career in Geography; however it was not an easy task. During my entire academic career, I have struggled with the idea of withdrawing and securing a full-time job to relieve the financial stresses I endure each month.  However, I have been able to continue thus far and am now on my way to becoming a well-educated global citizen.”

Randi adds, “To be the first member of my family to graduate from college would be a dream come true.”

Filed under: Announcements, College of Alameda, Peralta News. Tagged: , , ,

• Peralta Colleges

Sunday 23 July 2017
    Powered by Wordpress

• Peralta Community College District

The district comprises four campuses serving northern Alameda County.
  • Peralta Colleges on Facebook Peralta Colleges on Twitter Peralta Colleges on YouTube Peralta Colleges on Instagram tumblr_logo_white_blue_32

•