Image: Scenes from around campus

Outstanding Grads of the Class of 2014: Meet Selma Elsiddig Adam

21 May 2014

Selma Adam

Meet Selma Elsiddig Adam, an outstanding member of the Class of 2014.

Selma grew up in Sudan where going to college was a day dream that she believed would never come true, especially for a girl who wants to major in Computer Engineering. Selma writes that when she was 13 years she would sneak around and take one of the books her sister brought home up to the roof, and sit for hours, reading them and trying to understand why the contents were so difficult to understand: and it was not until her that first introduced her to codes.

Leaving Sudan to come to the United States for the sake of a better education wasn’t easy; and it was made even more difficult by those who made Selma feel as if she was not welcome.  Selma remembers the time when she was on her way to visit UC Berkeley when an old, homeless man threw leftover food at her and shouted “You do not belong here; go back to where you came from.” It wasn’t the first time that Selma was victimized by such hate speech; however, she was so mad this particular day that she went home and started to cry as she wanted to go back to her country.  Having given the incident some additional thought, she decided that these kinds of challenges made her stronger and more determined to reach her goal of getting an education

Selma is well on her way to accomplishing her goal.  She will graduate Spring 2014 with a 3.86 grade point average from College of Alameda with an AS degree in Mathematics.  She has been accepted at UC Berkeley, UC Irvine, UC Davis, San Francisco State, San Jose State and CSU East Bay.  Once she decides where she will transfer she will pursue a BS degree in Software Engineering.  Selma is the recipient of several scholarships and recently was awarded the Loretta Hernandez Scholarship.  When asked about her accomplishments, Selma responds “I am proud that I came this far in achieving my goals, and I will not quit now. I value education, for it is the only chance I have, and that is why no one who has lived an easy life will understand what it is like to make your way to the top with the only chance you have: education.”

Selma lives in Oakland and she and her friend are using technology in hopes of making people in Oakland aware of the situations happening around them and how it affects them and their children by giving them access to the information that has posted on the website that they are building. The project’s goal is to inform people about the violence and encourage them to help us hold meetings and committees to take actions to stop the violence. Selma indicated that “being a part of this project taught me how to be responsible for my community and help others, and with this project, I will strengthen my skills and help my community at the same time.”

Filed under: Announcements, Peralta News. Tagged: , , , ,

• Peralta Colleges

Tuesday 17 October 2017
    Powered by Wordpress

• Since 1964, the Peralta Community College District - comprised of Berkeley City College, College of Alameda, Laney College and Merritt College - has served the cities of Alameda, Albany, Berkeley, Emeryville, Oakland and Piedmont by providing 25,000 students each semester with a range of educational programs and life-long learning opportunities.
  • Peralta Colleges on Facebook Peralta Colleges on Twitter Peralta Colleges on YouTube Peralta Colleges on Instagram tumblr_logo_white_blue_32

•