Image: Scenes from around campus

Peralta Colleges At East Bay High School College Day

6 April 2016

Kristen Picture San Leandro HS

At a special Community College Day event that took place at San Leandro High School on Thursday, March 17, 2016, the Peralta Community College District was well represented by Laney College Outreach Specialist, Kristen Kayeer de Hijar, pictured, who spoke to a crowd of students, parents and staff about all the benefits of attending a community college.

The purpose of San Leandro High’s annual Community College Day is to inform students and parents about higher educational options after graduation. Several 2-year, 4-year and private colleges were in attendance.

“Kristen’s powerful talk about her journey from community college to transferring to a four-year college was well received by the group”, said Nadia Elhawary, College Advisor at San Leandro High School. “ I believe the work she does will be mutually beneficial for students and their parents,” she added. “Her knowledge and skill-sets would be a variable to connect schools, students and shared resources.”

“When I entered the high school, it brought back memories of when I was a student at Albany High School, so many years ago,” remarked Kristen Kayser de Hijar. “I conveyed my story and journey from high school to the Peralta Colleges”. The goal of her presentation was to engage, empower and encourage students that a college education is attainable.

Ms. Kayser de Hijar stated during her talk, “My pathway from high school to college changed my life, and by starting at a community college – specifically Berkeley City College – the experience helped make and mold me into the person I am today.”

After Kayser de Hijar’s presentation, many parents indicated they felt more knowledgeable about community colleges, and that sending their child to one would be a wise choice for the student’s college success. The Peralta Community College District was happy to have participated in such a positive event.

Filed under: Announcements, Laney College. Tagged: , , , , ,

• Peralta Colleges

Friday 21 July 2017
    Powered by Wordpress

• Peralta Community College District

The district comprises four campuses serving northern Alameda County.
  • Peralta Colleges on Facebook Peralta Colleges on Twitter Peralta Colleges on YouTube Peralta Colleges on Instagram tumblr_logo_white_blue_32

•