Image: Scenes from around campus

Peralta Community College District Thankful to Voters for Passage of Measure B Parcel Tax

7 June 2012. 1 comment

OAKLAND, Calif., June 7, 2012 – On Election Day, Tuesday, June 5, Alameda County voters overwhelming passed Measure B, the Peralta Community College District’s Parcel Tax that will directly benefit students of Berkeley City College, College of Alameda and Laney and Merritt Colleges in Oakland.

Measure B, which passed with 72 percent of the vote, will have a positive impact on the 30,000 students that attend the Peralta Colleges by providing $8 million in annual funding which will help make up for State-imposed budget cuts and allow the colleges to offer additional classes.

“I want to thank voters for their support of the Peralta Colleges and passing our parcel tax by such a wide margin,” said Peralta Colleges Chancellor Wise E. Allen. “This means in spite of State cuts to education we will be able to provide community students with the courses they need.”

With funds from Measure B, the Peralta Colleges will be able to offer more course availability for students wanting to complete their A.A. Degrees or program certificates, and for students transferring to four-year universities, it means greater access to a higher education at a time when other colleges and universities are limiting or cutting enrollment due to State budget cuts.

“Times are difficult and it is reassuring to see that our community continues to support the educational mission of our community colleges,” Chancellor Allen added. He stressed the importance of the strong support shown by the community – students, faculty, staff and labor unions – in securing the passage of Measure B.

“Education is vitally important to our community’s future, and we want to thank voters for their “yes” vote on Measure B and everyone who supported our effort. This has allowed us to continue to provide educational opportunities to the students of our community.”

Filed under: Press Release. Tagged: , ,

1 Comment

1. robin wrigh says:

I’m so angry I voted to pass the parcel tax measure for Peralta Colleges. Today I read that the new chancellor for Peralta CC District will take home a base salary of $260K, pluse a $20K moving bonus, lifetime health benefits and mamore extravagant bonuses. I’m unemployed. My total pension after 10 years in banking was a total lump sum of about $2400. I feel like I’ve been robbed and betrayed.

I will never support a tax or bond measure for Peralta Colleges again. I hope student protesters show the board and the new chancellors how angry they are.