Image: Scenes from around campus

1098T Information

Questions and Answers


1. When and where will the 1098-T be mailed?

1098-T forms were mailed to student’s mailing addresses during the last week of January 2014. Your address may be verified on Passport’s Student Center.


2. Can I receive my 1098-T electronically? 

Yes.  Peralta Community College District, in conjunction with ECSI, is offering you the opportunity to receive a copy of your 1098T Tuition Statement Tax Form.  

If you would like to receive a copy, please email us at with your name and student ID number.

Please note, due to the high volume of requests, your request will be processed within 3 business days.


 3. Why did I receive a 1098-T tax form?

You received a form because your higher education expenses may be eligible for federal tax benefits.

Our records show that you were:

  1. Enrolled in courses at one of the four Peralta Community Colleges
  2. Billed for a course for the reporting tax year
  3. Have a valid taxpayer identification number or social security number reflected in Peralta’s Passport Student Center


4. Why haven’t I received my 1098-T form?

In certain situations, a 1098-T may not have been generated for you:

  • If you do not have a valid address reflected on Passport’s Student Center.
  • If you do not have a valid Social Security Number or Tax Identification Number on file with our district.
  • If you had no charges billed in the tax year. When reviewing your records, please take into consideration actual billing dates not semester start dates.


5. I’m an International student, can I get a 1098T?

If you are an International student and would like to obtain a 1098-T form, you must have an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) issued by the IRS. You will need to fill out the Student Data Correction Sheet and submit them to the District Admissions and Records Office. A valid identification card or driver’s licence is needed for identification purposes.

Please note, beginning March 25, 2013, if you have recently updated your Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identifcation Number (ITIN) with the Admissions & Records office, it may take up to 2 weeks to process your 1098-T requests due to restrictions with electronic transmissions to the IRS.   


6. My son/daughter attends one of the Peralta Community Colleges and I need his/her payment information. How can I get a copy?

1098-T forms are sent to the student’s permanent address as reflected in the Peralta Passport system. In order to protect student privacy rights guaranteed through the Federal Family Educational Right to Privacy Act we cannot provide parents student information without approved consent. Students may fill out an Authorization for Release of Information form and submit it in person to the District Admissions and Records office in order to allow parents the right to student information.


7.  Why doesn’t the amount billed on my 1098-T match my records to what I actually paid?

There are two methods for schools to report fees. One method is to report the payments made by students during the tax year, and the other method is to report amounts billed during the tax year.

The method of reporting selected by the Peralta Community College District is to report only the amounts billed during the tax year.  When reviewing your records, please take into consideration actual billing dates in order to reconcile your records to the amounts on the form.


8. What do I need to know if I feel the amounts on my 1098-T form are wrong?

  • Check your 2012 1098T form, if Box 7 was checked on the 2012 form, then the tuition for Spring 2012 is on that form and is not included on the 2013 1098Tform.
  • Check your 2013 form, if Box 7 is checked then it is including amounts for the academic period starting Jan – March 2014 (Spring 2014)
  • Check to see if there have been any changes to your class schedule. If you dropped any courses or had a record correction, those changes would be reflected in the tax year that were initiated in. 


Keep in mind, the 1098T reflects qualified tuition and related expenses only.

In order to determine qualifying tuition and expenses, only the amount students are required to pay in order to be enrolled at or attend one of the Peralta Community Colleges is considered.


Required fees are:

  • Enrollment fee
  • Out of State/International Tuition
  • Capital Outlay Fee
  • Health Fee
  • Campus Center Use Fee
  • AC Transit Easy Pass Fee


Amounts paid for any course or other education involving sports, games or hobbies are not eligible unless the course is part of the student’s degree program. Charges and fees associated with room, board, student activities, athletics, insurance, books, equipment, transportation and similar personal living or family expenses are not qualified expenses. Qualified expenses must be reduced by tax-free grants, scholarships, fellowships, tuition exemptions and employer-provided educational assistance.



The Peralta Community Colleges or the Peralta Community College District Office cannot provide assistance regarding your eligibility or the calculation of the credit. The following web sites have additional information that may be useful.


If you have any additional questions, please email us at 

Due to the high volume of students we serve, it will take 3 business days to process your request. 


  • Business Services

    Sunday 16 June 2019
    Powered by Wordpress

  • Since 1964, the Peralta Community College District - comprised of Berkeley City College, College of Alameda, Laney College and Merritt College - has served the cities of Alameda, Albany, Berkeley, Emeryville, Oakland and Piedmont by providing 25,000 students each semester with a range of educational programs and life-long learning opportunities.