Chancellor’s Trophy Award
The Peralta Community College District’s Chancellor’s Trophy Award is a district-wide award designed to recognize and honor outstanding second-year students whose scholarship, sense of civic responsibility, and leadership give most promise of future success and service to community.
Developed by the Peralta Board of Trustees and Chancellor Thomas W. Fryer, Jr., this program invites participation from every segment on each of the Peralta campuses. Reflecting the Board’s continued interest in recognizing outstanding student contributions to the distinguished character of the District, this award is designed to be issued to that student most exemplifying what community college education is all about.
All Peralta students meeting minimum eligibility requirements can be considered for this award. The eligibility requirements and criteria for this award are attached. The selection process begins at the individual college where campus scholarship committees select the finalists to be forwarded to the Chancellor’s Office for consideration.
The finalists are screened by a committee composed of the Chancellor and two members of the Board of Trustees. The district-wide winner receives an award of $2,500. The other three college winners receive $1,000. There are two perpetual trophies which list the name of the district-wide winner – one trophy is housed in the college from which the recipient comes for that year and the other is in the Chancellor’s Office.
- Candidates selected must be full-time students carrying a minimum of 12 units per semester and should have earned college credits of not less than 36 semester units.
- The student must have an overall grade point average of 2.0, based on a 4.0 scale.
- The completed application form, along with transcripts, must be submitted to the scholarship committee at each college.
- Candidates should have a record of active participation and leadership in extra-curricular activities during their college attendance. Employment during this period is given proper consideration.
- A student must apply at the College where (a) the majority (51% or more) of his/her course work has been completed at the time of application, AND (b) the majority (51% or more) of his/her activities (e.g., citizenship, leadership service, employment) have occurred.
- The College President should approve the membership of the Scholarship Committee. The recommendation of the Scholarship Committee should be submitted to the Vice President for Student Services.
- The VPSS will then accept the recommendation and forward to the President OR return to the Scholarship Committee for additional information and considerations, as appropriate.
The students will be judged according to the following criteria:
Services and Employment (Eminence in any field of Achievement)
Interview at College
Sound and Logical Thinking
Imagination and Originality of Thought
Evaluation of Scholarship Committee
Chancellor’s Trophy Award Application: click here