How to Apply
- Applications for Fall 2017-Spring 2018 Faculty Diversity Internship Program cohort will be open:
- February 1 – March 15, 2017.
- Link to application: https://peraltaccd.peopleadmin.com/postings/3521
Documents to prepare in the meantime:
- Cover Letter: It MUST state the discipline(s) in which you are eligible to serve as a faculty member and WHY you want to work in that discipline. Many applications do not get forwarded to the selection committee for not including this basic information.
- Step 1: Check the Peralta Community College District Class Schedule to see the courses we offer.
- Step 2: Check the California Community College Minimum Qualifications handbook to see what you’re able to teach based on your degree or industry experience (this primarily for Career/Technical Education disciplines).
- Note: You can participate in the program if you’ve only earned HALF of your credits to your graduate degree. If you will not have earned all of the credits by the time of the application, but intend on completing them by the beginning of the program (Fall term), then please include a letter from your dean to demonstrate your intention of completing those units.
- Many applications do not reach the selection committee because the discipline is not included in the cover letter OR the candidate has not identified a discipline that matches their education.
- Resume (Not a CV):
- Community colleges are focused on teaching and service to the college and not research or publication. Your resume should reflect this emphasis. Please include any teaching or service work that demonstrates your ability to work with diverse populations of students.
- Essay Questions (250 words each):
– The goal of the Faculty Diversity Internship Program is to have our faculty body better reflect our student population. How do your life experiences or background help the Peralta Community College District achieve this goal?
– What would you most like to learn or experience in order to prepare yourself to become a successful community college faculty member?
- Unofficial Transcripts: These should have the name of the degree-granting institution and the title of the degree you have our will soon earn.
- References: Please choose references who you have worked with in the last five years. Friends and family members who do not know you in an academic or professional capacity are not appropriate. Note: We will not contact references until after the interview process.
Note: If any of the above items are missing from your application, your application will not be reviewed by the selection committee.
- Other Documents: In the past, applicants have included other items, like syllabi, philosophies of teaching and learning, diversity statements, and other appendices. However, these materials have proven to not be useful in the application process and will not be reviewed.