Image: Scenes from around campus


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

New academic hires includes: instructors, librarians, nurses, counselors, coaches, and academic administrators.

Hiring Process

  • Where do I apply?
    • You can apply to any position in the Job Search page. If you are applying for a faculty position you can apply to the general pool if no specific major is available.
  • What if my transcripts did not get uploaded properly to my application?
    • Scan all of your transcripts into one PDF document and upload them all at once, or submit transcripts under the “Additional Documents” option.
  • How does the process work?
    • Your application will be reviewed for Minimum Qualifications and then you will be contacted for an interview. If you receive an offer, then the campus will submit a request to the HR Office officially hire you. HR will contact you for an intake appointment and collect any required hiring documents.
  • What should I do after I apply?
    • After you apply, provide your Dean with the application number so they can include it in the official hiring request to HR.
  • Where can I find information about salary?
    • The salary range will be stated on the job posting but you can also click here for the salary schedule. Salary will be determined by HR after hiring documents have been received, and will be based on related experience and education.

Intake Requirements

  • What will happen if I fail to submit my documents within 90 days?
    • Employees who fail to submit their documents within 90 days after their date of hire will not be qualified to teach at Peralta.
  • What are the requirements?
    • You can click here for a list of requirements. The minimum requirements for an intake appointment are to have your Peralta Live Scan completed and to bring your I9 documents. Your CalSTRS retirement form will be due 60 days after your appointment, and all other items will be due within 90 days after your intake appointment.
      • TB Test: You may take the TB test at any preferred clinic and we will honor it if it was taken within the past 60 days from your intake appointment. Employees will not be reimbursed for the TB test.
      • Transcripts: All transcripts submitted must be sealed and must include the degree confer date. You may send your transcripts by mail or email to an Academic HR Generalist. Foreign degree transcripts must be officially evaluated by a third party.

Employment Verification

  • Who do I contact to get employment verification letters?
    • You may contact the Manager of HR office of your previous/current employer. Letters must be written in the official letterhead.
  • What information should be included in the employment letters?
    • Employee’s title (work must be directly related to Peralta assingment)
    • Dates worked
    • Full-time equivalent load for part-time employment (ex/ 50% of full-time or 0.50 FTE)
      • a. Letters without this information will not be valid but may be resubmitted within
        90 calendar days from the employee’s date of hire for consideration.
  • What if I am/was self-employed?
    • You may bring Schedule C forms (sole proprietors) or Schedule K (partnerships) forms for employment verification.
  • What if my previous employer is no longer in business/or retired?
    • Anyone can write an employment verification letter but it must be in the original letterhead of the company. The letter will be treated as a legal document.

Benefits & Retirement Options

  • What are the benefits options (medical/dental/etc.) offered by Peralta?
  • Where do I enroll into benefits?


  • What are the main differences between both plans?
    • A few main differences are that Cash Balance offers immediate vesting and employees contribute less. Defined Benefits is more of the Pension Plan option. Defined Benefits requires 5 years of service credit to vest and employees contribute more.
  • What if I don’t know which one to choose?
    • You will have 30 days after your date of hire to submit your CalSTRS election form. Please contact CalSTRS directly for advice on your specific situation. Visit or call them at (800) 228-5453 for more information.
  • If I have a retirement plan somewhere else do I have to enroll into CalSTRS?
    • All part-time employees are required to choose either Cash Balance of Defined/Permissive Benefits.
  • If I am enrolled into CalPERS do I have to sign up for CalSTRS?
    • Only full-time employees will have the option to stay in CalPERS. Part-time employees are required to choose one of the options.

*Employees can create an account at to track their retirement contributions.

Steps After the Hiring Process

  • Where can I get an Employee ID?
    • An employee is activated after the intake appointment and then HR sends notification with the ID number to the employee. New and replacement employee badges should be requested by the departmental hiring managers, deans, presidents and Vice Chancellors.
  • If I have questions about my assignment who should I contact?
    • Please contact your Dean if you have any questions regarding your workload, type of workload, and any other assignment specific questions.
  • If I have questions about my paycheck who should I contact?
    • For questions about your paycheck and deductions please contact the Payroll Office.
      • Direct Deposit: If you choose to opt-out of direct deposit you can pick up your check at the Cashier’s Office of your home campus.

  • Human Resources

    Tuesday 23 April 2019
    Powered by Wordpress

  • Since 1964, the Peralta Community College District - comprised of Berkeley City College, College of Alameda, Laney College and Merritt College - has served the cities of Alameda, Albany, Berkeley, Emeryville, Oakland and Piedmont by providing 25,000 students each semester with a range of educational programs and life-long learning opportunities