Internal Audit Home
To provide the District with internal audits and advisories that help improve and strengthen its financial and operational practices that support the attainment of the District’s core mission.
Internal Audit’s Goals & Objectives
Internal Audit Department’s goal is to help the District improve its internal controls, and operational efficiency and effectiveness needed to ensure excellent delivery of services to students, regulatory stakeholders, and District Staff.
Internal Audit’s objective is to provide the District with best business practices and internal control advisories to help the District attain the following objectives:
- Prudent use of scarce district resources
- Effective & efficient operations using best business practices
- Information and business systems with effective internal controls
- Accurate financial and operational records for management decision-making purposes and external reporting
- Safeguarding of district assets against potential loss, waste, and fraud
- Compliance with Committee of Sponsoring Organizations (COSO ) internal control standards and Federal Uniform Guidance in all District business operations
Internal Audit’s Strategic Focus
In summary, the Internal Audit’s strategic focus is on helping the District improve its operational performance through improvement of its Accountability, Control, Transparency, and Efficiency (ACTE) in all business processes and functions. Our audit activities and advisories are designed to strengthen and promote the use of best business practices within a continuous improvement framework. The Federal government has recently codified its demands for even more regulatory compliance with good business practices and internal control standards by its recent issuance of the Uniform Guidance and Green Book publications. Annual auditors are now required to more closely scrutinize the District’s system of internal control, as well as conformity with procurement and other business best practices.
District Finance Department personnel and the Internal Audit have been providing training in all these areas, including assisting District oversight departments to help ensure compliance with all the above mentioned areas.
CURRENT EVENTS AFFECTING THE DISTRICT
Preparation for District’s Upcoming FY 2015-16 Annual Audit
The District began its preparation for its upcoming annual financial audit, which is scheduled to begin in mid-May 2016, by holding an annual audit kick-off meeting with our annual financial auditors from Vavrinek, Trine, Day and Co. CPAs (VTD) on March 24, 2016. The auditors gave the District managers and staff in attendance an insightful presentation on what to expect this year. The auditors informed the District of new regulatory emphasis based on the new Uniform Guidance, with important compliance requirements information for state and federal grants, financial aid, and other financial resources.
To further prepare for our annual audit, all Peralta Team members should review all of the following audit regulatory guidelines and relevant information presented below:
- Contracted District Audit Manual Fiscal Year 2015-16
- VTD Annual Audit Planning and Kick-Off Meeting Presentation 3-24-2016
- OMB 2 CFR 200 Federal Register
- California Community College Budget & Accounting Manual
- GAO Green Book
- Peralta CCD Final Management Letter 2015
Please click on this link to get the Auditors’ 2016 audit planning calendar: 2016 Planning Calendar.