START YOUR COLLEGE EDUCATION AT UC BERKELEY!
Please find the link to UC Berkeley Summer Sessions updated deadlines/schedule here: http://summer.berkeley.edu/registration/schedule
As part of the Pathways to Four-Year Universities (Pathways) program, international students are eligible to enroll in UC Berkeley Summer Sessions classes prior to enrolling at PCCD in order to take key prerequisites, ESL classes, or gateway courses to your major. Courses will be reflected on an official UC Berkeley transcript and may satisfy credit at PCCD or another four-year university or college. Current PCCD students are eligible to enroll in Summer Sessions with UC Berkeley as well.
Please notify our office that you would like to attend UC Berkeley Summer Sessions classes prior to enrolling at PCCD by filling out our Pathways Application Form. In order to submit the completed application, you must first SAVE the file to your computer prior to filling it out. Once completed, save the file again and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As part of the program students will also receive additional advising at your PCCD campus by advisers from UC Berkeley’s Center for Educational Partnerships to create an educational plan in preparation for applying to UC Berkeley or another four-year University once you are finished at PCCD. The Pathways to Four-Year Universities Program provides support and resources to PCCD students who intend to transfer to UC Berkeley or another four-year university or college. Plan to meet with Community College Transfer Center Coordinator, Leilt Habte. You may also contact her directly at email@example.com
More information can be found at summer.berkeley.edu/international
There are 5 Sessions offered by UC Berkeley for Summer Sessions to choose from:
Session A (6 week) (5 units minimum)
Session B (10 week) (8 units minimum)
Session C (8 week) (6 units minimum)
Session D (6 week)6 (5 units minimum) – RECOMMENDED
Session E (3 week) (3 units minimum) – RECOMMENDED
Please find the link to our updated deadlines/schedule here: http://summer.berkeley.edu/registration/schedule
STEPS TO ATTEND UC BERKELEY SUMMER SESSIONS PRIOR TO ENROLLING AT PCCD:
Before You Register
- Research the Summer courses you would like to take from the Online Schedule of Classes. Please note the Course Control Number (CCN; 5-digit number associated with each course) for the courses of your choice.
It is recommended students enroll in the basic math and science courses (usually the survey courses that are numbered 1A, 1B, 1, or 10). These classes are usually all transferable to any of the UC’s since they are considered basic General Education courses. All classes taken at UC Berkeley will transfer to UC Berkeley. The basic survey courses are the only ones that would transfer to all the UC’s, which is why these are recommended. UC Berkeley Summer Sessions also offers ESL Courses which can be found here: List of ESL Courses
International Fees are as follows:
International students – $480 per unit
Summer 2016 Enrollment Fee – $335
Document Management Fee – $54 one-time, non-refundable
International Service Fee – $300
- Read the information regarding the English Proficiency Requirement.
Students who enroll exclusively in the English as a Second Language (ESL) courses are exempt from the English Proficiency Requirement. See the List of ESL Courses.
- Read the section on Visa Information.
- Start the registration process (beginning February 16, 2016), enroll in full-time units and pay the full fee with a credit card. (Click “Register Now Through Summer Sessions“)
Session A: May 23 – July 1, 2016 (5 units minimum)
Session B: June 6 – August 12, 2016 (8 units minimum)
Session C: June 20 – August 12, 2016 (6 units minimum)
Session D: July 5 – August 12, 2016 (5 units minimum) – RECOMMENDED
Session E: July 25 – August 12, 2016 (3 units minimum) – RECOMMENDED
- Please note that changing your class schedule after your I-20 has been issued may invalidate your I-20. You will not be able to enter the US if the start-date on your I-20 does not match your Summer Session start-date. Contact UC Berkeley Summer Sessions before making any changes to your schedule.
- Once you are registered, you will receive your UC Berkeley student ID number (SID) and personal identification number (PIN). This information is emailed to you, password protected, to the email address you provided on your application. Please check your spam folder if you do not receive the email within a week.
- Create CalNet ID and establish passphrase. (Click here to create a CalNet ID)
- Log in to MySummer to upload the English proficiency exam score, along with the required documents for a Certificate of Eligibility if you requested it on the application.
- Receive your Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019) document.
- Pay your SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) Fee on the SEVIS fee processing website.
- Make an appointment with a US Embassy or Consulate in your area to apply for an F-1 Visa.
Where is your I-20? The I-20 Production Process Chart is a helpful tool to see the entire process and the next steps to take.
- Make housing arrangements as soon as possible after registration. (Some housing may only be available during the summer. Students should plan on where they will be living once the Fall semester begins at PCCD.
- Obtain proof of health insurance.
- Check your most up-to-date class schedule from the Online Schedule of Classes.
- Research the airport (San Francisco International Airport or Oakland International Airport) and available ground transportation options to Berkeley.
- Make sure you have your I-20/DS-2019 passport in your carry-on luggage. Do not pack these documents in your checked luggage!
- Check into your summer housing and obtain the complete address of your local residence.
- Attend your first classes.
- Buy textbooks.
- Complete the mandatory Online Arrival Confirmation process.
- Go to the Cal 1 Card Office to obtain your photo ID.
- Confirm the grading option for your courses.
- Log in to Bear Facts and confirm any outstanding balance or available refund.
- Visit the Berkeley International Office in order to transfer your I-20 to attend our colleges in Fall 2016!
Apply to the Peralta Community College District for the Fall semester by August 1st – Apply Here!