The information below is not tax advise. It is general information for F-1 students. Please review the IRS’s webpage or visit a tax professional for information for yourself. F-1 International Students must file form 8843 each year. Some students may also be required to file 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ (Federal) along with form 540NR (CA). Please visit these pages below for additional information and guidance:

Tax Workshop Slides 2016 (pdf)


Filing Services:

There may be some free online services that will help you file taxes. There is no “filing fee” if students file taxes themselves or find a free service. Individuals may elect to pay a company to help them file taxes. Below are some common ones:

  • Sprintax
  • H&R Block