EGYPT – SUMMER 2019 – Arabic 30A Arabic Conversation (Berkeley City College)
June 30 - July 14
Faculty Leader: Gaye Walton-Price, PhD
1) ONLINE APPLICATION/$550 DEPOSIT (Extended Deadline March 28, 2019): REGISTER HERE – Please select: EGYPT (June 30-July 14, 2019) Berkeley City College Arabic 30A (Arabic Conversation) – Gaye Walton-Price (firstname.lastname@example.org)
please email email@example.com if you need additional time to make the deposit
2) INFORMATIONAL MEETING: TBD
3) FINANCIAL AID/SCHOLARSHIPS/FUNDRAISING
Financial Aid Checklist for Study Abroad – Apply online at FAFSA.GOV for the 2018/19 application period
iGRAD Scholarships – MANY SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE NOW!!!
Start a GoFundMe Page Here
For more information contact faculty leader Gaye Walton-Price (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Drew Gephart, International Services Manager at email@example.com
COUNTRY: Egypt (Cairo and other Egyptian cities)
COLLEGE/CLASS: Berkeley City College – ARAB 30A Arabic Conversation – Summer 2019- Course #TBD – (3 Units)
DATES: June 17-June 28, 2019 (2 weeks required on campus at Berkeley City College) followed by 2 weeks in Egypt from (June 30-July 14, 2019.
COST: $2,985 (Includes Flight*, Lodging, Meals, Transportation and Activities/Excursions)
*Flight cost subject to change based on fluctuation rates as of April 1, 2019 when all remaining flight costs are due.
Additional Expenses not included (paid separately): Travel insurance, visa fees, passport (if you do not have one already), and enrollment fees for ARAB 30A (Course #TBD) (3 units).
PAYMENT DETAILS/REFUND SCHEDULE:
March 30, 2019: $550 Deposit (non-refundable)
April 15, 2019: $1595 (non-refundable) *Flight cost subject to change based on fluctuation rates as of April 15, 2019 when all remaining flight costs are due.
May 1, 2019: $840 (50% refundable if cancelled more than 30 days before program)
All cancellations must be sent in writing via email to Drew Gephart at firstname.lastname@example.org. Cancellations are effective on the date and time they are received. A student must still submit their cancellation in writing to receive a refund, even if they miss a payment deadline. Deposit and cost of flight are non-refundable.
Deposit and Recurring Payments made by check to “Linden Travel”, subject “Egypt Study Abroad”, and turned in person or mailed to:
Peralta Community College District
Office of International Education
333 East 8th Street
c/o Drew Gephart
Please include copy of passport with deposit payment.
EGYPT STUDY ABROAD COURSE DETAILS: Supervised, short-term immersion field experience in colloquial Egyptian Arabic Conversation, and Egyptian Culture. Study and practice in speaking and understanding Arabic in one of the best and most populated arenas for this language and engage in authentic cultural experiences, learning to communicate and explore some of the world’s richest cultural artifacts and monuments of one of the most highly achieving ancient civilizations on the planet. Emphasis in this course is on communicative competence in Arabic, exposure to the cultural richness of Egypt, and the ability to experience first-hand the amazement which is Cairo and Egypt, as the Egyptians and others have named it, “Umm ad-Dunya” (Mother of the World); and to witness first-hand the ancient vestiges of a by-gone era, juxtaposed with? midevil treasures and monuments, and with contemporary cultural innovations.
ITINERARY:Egypt Study Abroad Itinerary
Gaye Walton-Price, PhD. is a highly motivated and college professor, as well as an effective administrator and executive. Dr. Walton-Price earned her PhD in Arabic language and linguistics at Georgetown University; and she is currently the Arabic instructor at Berkeley City College and has taught Arabic at the University of California, Berkeley and UC Davis. She has lived and worked in Tunis, Tunisia, and Cairo, Egypt for extended periods of time. After nearly 20 years college and university-level teaching experience, she shows that her passion is the Arabic language, both in teaching it, and in doing research with it and in it. Along the way, she has also gained expertise in teaching humanities and philosophy courses, having earned a Master of Arts in Religion at Yale University Divinity School in New Haven, CT, at the University of the Pacific in Stockton, CA, at Contra Costa College in San Pablo, CA, at Berkeley City College in Berekeley, CA, and at Zaytuna College in Berkeley, CA.
All students participating in this program will need to complete the following:
- Pre-Travel Study Abroad Information Form: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/peraltapretravel
- Enroll in the course associated with this program
- Check with the Financial Aid Office to see if you are eligible for Aid and review this Financial Aid Checklist for Study Abroad
- Apply for Scholarships through the Peralta Colleges Foundation
- Read and sign Study Abroad Assumption of Risks, WAIVER AND RELEASE AGREEMENT, & STANDARDS OF STUDENT CONDUCT
- Apply for a Passport (if you do not have one already – Check expiration date on Passport as well)
- Read our Pre-Departure Handbook
- Register with the US Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) – https://step.state.gov/step/
- Attend mandatory pre-departure orientations (Dates: TBD)
- Obtain proper immunizations as listed on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website – https://www.cdc.gov/