A: “What to Do If You Are Sexually Assaulted/Raped”

  • If you are in immediate danger, call 911 or (510) 466-7236 if on campus.
  • Go to a safe place. This is not the time to be alone. At the very least, you need emotional support. If there is no one to go to, call someone you can talk to, no matter how late it is. Places on campus where you can get help are the Laney College Mental Health Center, the Vice President of Student Services or designee, Peralta Sheriff Department, or any counseling or administrator’s office.
  • Get medical attention. As soon as possible, go the Highland Hospital Sexual Assault Center or the nearest hospital to be examined and treated for any injuries or infections. For example, treatment for HIV prevention must begin within a seventy‐two (72) hour period after the assault/rape, but the sooner the better. You may want to take measures to prevent pregnancy as soon as possible. At the very least, you need to get tested and maybe treated for various sexually transmitted infections. You can seek medical treatment and provide medical evidence without having to report to the police. If you choose to report later, physical evidence that was collected soon after the assault would make legal proceedings more effective.
  • Report the assault to police and campus officials, whether or not you plan to file charges. Reporting a rape does not commit you to filing charges but does make filing a charge easier at a later date.
  • When you make your report, you may take someone with you. You can go the next day, but the sooner the better. Rarely do rapists attack one person only, they get away with it and so they continue to do it. A report may be filed with the Vice President of Student Services, Peralta Sheriff Department and/or San Bruno Police Department. If the perpetrator of the assault is a faculty or staff member at Laney College, you have the option of initiating a complaint with the College Administration. If you decide to report, physical specimens collected soon after the sexual assault will be valuable evidence. Do not shower or clean yourself first. If you change, place your clothes in a paper bag. Do not destroy or wash the clothes you were wearing. Peralta Health Services are not “evidence collection” sites, so if you do want to file charges, arrangements will be made for you to go to Highland Hospital Sexual Assault Center which is designated as the “evidence collection” site for sexual assaults that occur in Alameda County. You have the right to choose whether or not to report and/or file charges.
  • Consider whether you want to file charges with the police and/or with campus authorities. Pressing charges can be a long, painful process. Each person must decide for themselves, based on their own circumstances, whether it makes sense to go through it. You may also speak with San Bruno Police Department about what will happen before your decision.

  • The Campus Sexual Violence Elimination (SaVE) Act

    Friday 19 August 2022
    Powered by Wordpress

  • Peralta Community College District

    The District comprises four colleges serving northern Alameda County.