Image: Scenes from around campus

PeopleSoft Resolution Team Meeting Minutes

21 May 2012

Chair: Tony Tortorice

Present: Dominique Benavides, Debbie Budd, David Betts, Ron Gerhard, Minh Lam, Mike Orkin, Steve Pantell, Jo Ann Phillips, Sheryl Queen, Adrienne Riley, Karolyn van Putten, Connie Willis

Agenda Item and Presenter(s)

Discussion

Follow-up Action

Decisions

 

Meeting Called to Order:

3:10 pm

 

 

I. Update on PeopleSoft Projects

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

a) Financial Aid/SAFE Web

VC Ng and Gary Nicholes met with IT to look at alternatives to PeopleSoft for Financial Aid. They are currently looking at PowerFAIDS, which is a lot much easier to use. Using PeopleSoft Financial Aid requires one to two full time programmers and that is not the case with PowerFAIDS. Los Rios Community College is using this system.

CAO Tortorice explained that there is a process that needs to take place in order to evaluate this program vs. PeopleSoft. If the district decides not to go with PeopleSoft, we’ll need to go out for a formal bid. Not planning to start PeopleSoft implementation until the Fall. The informal quote for PeopleSoft was from $8,000 to $9,000.

VC Ng said that the PeopleSoft implementation would cost more than PowerFAIDS and still need to add the salary of a full-time programmer in order maintain the system.

Eric Gravenberg mentioned that he is familiar with PowerFAIDS and it is a good system, but the district will have to adjust expectations if we decide to go a different way from PeopleSoft.

Jo Ann Phillips will like to remind everybody that our academic structure is very different than that of Los Rios Community College.

b) Time and Labor Distribution

No report. Waiting for PeopleSoft upgrade.

c) PeopleSoft Data Warehouse for Financial Services

This project is underway. The new version of the server has been installed. Kyu Lee and Sriram Battineni have taken OBIEE Oracle courses and they are doing a lot of the hands-on implementation. This is the third week of this project and there is a consultant working with Kyu and Sriram.

The student data warehouse will be left where it is.

Need to re-evaluate users in order to assign the new licenses.

d) Electronic Workflow for Budget Transfers

Kyu Lee has been refocused on this project.

e) Electronic Personnel Action Forms

Requirements have been done and now working on the programming. Target date for user testing is the first or second week in July. Once testing is accepted, a training program will be set.

f) Document Management System

RFP scheduled to be released in the next few days. There are two projects: General Services and Transcripts.

Looking at three different companies. All are very well known companies. Bids are due June 26 and the evaluation will take a couple of weeks. After evaluations, demos will be set up. This project will be kicked-off after August in order to allow for board approval.

OTHER UPDATES:

Student Login Issues:

There is a manual process in place that it is working for right now. In the meantime, consultant Jesus Chanlatte has been working on the programming issues. This should be resolved soon.

 

 

 

II. Report out from Committees

 

a) Financial Aid – Nicholes

‘W’ grades for summer are not being calculated correctly and Financial Aid Specialists have to do it manually. Also, need to review transcripts in PeopleSoft.

JoAnn Phillips and Karen Croley explained that is not just a matter of seeing the ‘W’, but counting them as attempted units. Jo Ann suggests editing the program in order to fix this issue.

CAO Tortorice requests that Gary Nicholes invites to a meeting in order to create a report for this issue. People required at this meeting are CAO Tortorice, Minh Lam and Jo Ann Phillips.

b) Counseling – Steve Pantell/Adrienne Riley

The team met and went over the issues discussed at the last PRT and moving Counseling Functionality issues to the PRT issues log.

Steve Pantell will re-submit the list (same as the one submitted at the April meeting) in order to be added to the PRT issues log.

c) Human Resources – Betts

No Report

d) Library – (Need to find someone to report out)

No Report

e) Matriculation – Ng (Sheryl Queen reported)

This group will meet at the end of the month. At their last meeting ESL assessments were discussed.

f) Schedulers – Queen

Schedulers are involved with the ProRata issues. This has created and increased amount of manual work. Hoping that it gets resolved soon.

CAO Tortorice mentioned that there is a consultant working on this project. Right now he is working on specifications.

g) Student Finance – Willis (Dominique Benavides reported)

Working on student logins. New profiles are giving and error message and Dominique Benavides is working with Jesus Chanlatte on a process to eliminate this.

h) Student Services – Gravenberg

The Education Committee established a Student Success Taskforce and they will be looking at several items. One in particular is mandatory orientation. Planning on doing a soft launch for Fall 2013.

Other things in students’ minds are how to be prepared for next academic year and fee hikes. Working on improving communication channels.

VP Gravenberg will be looking into electronic transmission of transcripts. Los Rios Community College has done a great thing and VP Gravenberg believes that there is money from the Chancellor’s Office for this (CCCTran).

i) Budget/Finance – Rinne/Gerhard

Finance will be working with the auditors for the next two weeks.

j) Admissions and Records – Brown-Willis (AVC Orkin reported)

Main focus has been student login resets. At the moment A&R has caught up with all the emails. Jesus Chanlatte has been assisting with this and it looks like we will be ready for testing this week.

Also, it is finals week and will be processing grade rosters.

VC Budd explained that grade rosters are done in PeopleSoft, but faculty also turn in hard copy of grade rosters.

k) Institutional Effectiveness/BI Tool – Orkin

OBIEE is about to be upgraded. Planning to do a couple of new types of reports in the new upgrade, such as automated reporting for special groups.

l) Instructional Faculty – Alexander (VC Budd reported)

Alexis Alexander just finished her Staff Development assignment. A new person will be taking over as Staff Development Officer.

Karolyn van Putten mentioned that Moodle is available for all faculty members, but not everyone is using it. It would be great if Moodle could be used to do grade books, but getting faculty on board by Fall 2012 might not be realistic. Spring 2013 might be a more reasonable time.

AVC Orkin will check with Fabian Banga to make sure Moodle has all the necessary features for grade books.

 

 

III. Review of Issues Log

Need to add issues submitted by the Counseling Functionality Team.

 

 

IV. Other

 

  • VC Ng would like to see the AC Transit application ready for this summer. Minh Lam explained that we owned the source code, but we don’t have the skill set to apply it in house.
  • Admissions and Records will be submitting the CCCApply renewal notice and invoice to IT for processing.

 

 

 

 

Adjournment:

4:15pm

 

 

Next meeting:

TBD, 3:00 pm – 5:00pm

District Office Board Room

 

 

Filed under: Meeting Minutes, PeopleSoft Resolution Team

  • Peralta Community College District

    The District comprises four colleges serving northern Alameda County.
  •